Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 clutch pedal Q

JWX

ok in my 88 RX I was messing with it and I noticed it didn't have a hill holder cable on it, then I thought so it must not be grabing 100%. then I remembered when I drove it and it had no problems with the clutch or the pedal, and the pedal was kind of hard and high. so I look at the pedal box and there is a spring on there, that looks factory. but my other RX (89 the rotary one) doesn't it has one on the clutch fork. and my hatch (which is an EA-81 so it is prolly meant to be different) has the hill holder as the return spring, whoch is what I thought all of them are suposted to have, but the 88 has one on the pedal box. so does the EA-82s have two, or does the hill holder not do that on them?

I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you're asking if the clutch pedal should have a spring on it, at the top of the pedal?

The clutch pressure plate should always return the clutch fork to its original position, if it doesn't the pressure plate has failed. The return spring on the Hill-Holder is just to pull the HH cable back to the correct position, otherwise your brakes would never release. The spring on the pedal is just to return the pedal to its original position, otherwise the clutch would engage and the pedal wouldn't come back up. It might help if you keep this in mind: Cables only do their jobs under tension, never under compression.

the spring on the clutch pedal is a helper spring. Not all the years had them. After doing the clutch cable on my wagon last year it was stiff as hell. I removed that big ugly spring from the clutch pedal and all was better.

As far as what was said above about it being the Pressure plate's jub to return the clutch fork to the 'home' position. thats not entirely true.. if you have a HH (which all 4wd manual soobs do) the return is built in to the HH.. My car was an auto and I opted to not install the HH when I converted to manual. even with a brand new clutch and PP, a return spring on the fork was still required. I knew this in advance however because that little tidbit of knowledge had been passed down to me from someone who knows 10 times more about subarus than I will ever know

sorry about that I wrote it at like 3:30am and was super tired. but I think I got my question across. I put a return spring on, and it doesn't really feel different. so does that that big spring at the top do more than just pull the pedal back?

As far as what was said above about it being the Pressure plate's jub to return the clutch fork to the 'home' position. thats not entirely true.. if you have a HH (which all 4wd manual soobs do) the return is built in to the HH.. My car was an auto and I opted to not install the HH when I converted to manual. even with a brand new clutch and PP, a return spring on the fork was still required. I knew this in advance however because that little tidbit of knowledge had been passed down to me from someone who knows 10 times more about subarus than I will ever know

You're right Caleb, I had it backwards in my mind. For some reason, I was thinking that the spring on the HH cable would compress the clutch cable if it weren't for the pedal spring... :rolleyes:

But the PP does play a role for sure. When my Legacy's clutch went out, the pedal stayed on the floor, which logically suggests the HH spring wasn't strong enough to pull the fork back when the PP collapsed.

But all manual Soobs had Hill-Holders, not just 4WD. I've seen dozens of FWD Soobs with HH's.

the spring I am using for the return spring on the clutch fork is the same as the 'reverse' spring on the 5 speed shifter assembly.. I pulled it off another soob..

As far as the helper spring on the pedal.. don't remember how it came apart.. and no soob here to look at.. seems there were some C-clips and cleavis pins, but its been over a year ago.. I had the whole assemble apart to do the cable

I would look, but I currently have no soobs.. all are gone but the wagon and its being stored about 45 miles away.