Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL Wagon Stalling

Guest vhenem

Guest vhenem

I have a 1983 4WD Wagon that won't stay running. This started about 2 days ago as I was driving home and it stalled, I pulled over and after about 5 min. It started up and ran fine, but would occasionally stall when first started. Today It stalled, and had to get it towed home.

I can no longer get it to stay running unless I rev it to about 2000 rpm. As soon as I lift off the gas it dies again.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Had the same problem on a similiar car, turned out to be a problem in the idle circuit of the carby. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned everything really well, problem never showed up again. Er, least as long as I kept it after that. Is it missing at all? or just straight up not idle? Catch ya Laters.

Guest vhenem

I Finally seem to have come to the root of my problem, after about 3 days of it running with no problems the same thing occured but this time it will not start at all.

I thought It was the fuel pump but after pulling it when I hook it directly to the battery it pumps away just fine. It appears that the fuel pump control unit (Haynes Manual term) / Revolution Sensor (Subaru Dealers term) Is the problem, It is not allowing power through to the pump.

Does anyone know if you can bypass this unit ? or is it needed for the operation of the pump

Thanks in advance

Guest GeneralDisorder

Well - it's not *needed*, if you like crashing and having your fuel pump continue to run, and pump nice flamable gas all over the burning engine. Makes great smores tho!

Actually - by the sound of it, it sounds like your fuel filters are clogged. Have you checked both of them? I've never heard of the revolution sensor going out. And the fuel pumps are REALLY tough.

GD

Guest Caboobaroo

hahahaha, I JUST had the same problem. Do you have one of those Carter Webers on there? cause if you do, pull the top off and pull out the acellerator pump, clean it really good and also check the line inside the carb to see if its broken or has a hole in it. Mine had a hole in it and I replaced it with some r/c airplane fuel hose and it ran great. oh btw, the hose runs from the acellerator pump to the sprayer inside the barrel.

Guest vhenem

Carb has been pulled apart and cleaned; Vapor seperator and fuel filter are new as of today so I am sure that those are not at fault. The only time the fuel pump actually pumps is when it is hooked up to a 12v source directly. This leads me to believe that there is either a fault in the wiring between the pump and the revolution sensor or the sensor is bad.

I realize that the fuel pump needs to shut off in case of an accident but i was thinking more along the lines of hooking it up to the oil pressure switch that way on start up the starter provides initial power, after that the coil wire provides it. If the oil pressure drops the circuit is broken and the pump does not continue pumping. I have seen this setup on a few street rods and was wondering if anyone has tried this

Thanks

Guest subyaddict

Sounds like you have got it narrowed down, but I would also suggest checking all vacuum lines, and motor vacuum itself.

Fule filters and pumps are usually the culprit. My friends '84 just needed a fresh pump ad a kick in the rear. Mine needed the jets in the carb cleared, and fuel filters. Make sure vacuum advance is working properly.

Good luck mate,

Nathan

1983 gl wagon d/r 5sp, r-discs, r-LSD