Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 lifted, tires rub still...

Flowmastered87GL

Ok here is the specs... 82 brat, lifted with a PK Davis 3/3 kit 15 X 7 "toyota" 6 lug wagon wheels with tires that measure 28" with a tape measure, but sound like they really fall near the 29/30" size... not sure how that works, but they are big anyway.

The struts are not yet cranked up and the fenders are off (doing metal work) and the fender liners are out. The tires were rubbing on the body seam at the rear of the front wheel well.

I want to know what all of you have done. Cut that little seam off? Bend it over and beat the snot out of that area as well to dent it back 1/4" or so?

Should i just crank up the rear torsion bar and front struts? (I'm gonna trim/bang anyway but maybe the added clearance would help...)

I'm hoping its going to be as simple as bend the body lip/seam over then bang the area afew times and repair the chipped undercoating. We shall see.

Note... the tires are the biggest they are ever gonna be, the odds are when they wear out that 27"s will be going on here in a year or to. So if they just barely clear it will be cool because it wont probably be hardcore wheeled til it has some grippier (and smaller) tires anyway. I just need it not to rub during normal everyday driving (including the slight suspension flex of odd angle driveways)

Pound it flat but don't cut it. I forgot to pound mine flat on my first lift and sliced a tire.

If you are having trouble rubbing still follow this flow chart:

1 Install larger tires

2 If rubbing go to line 3

3 Lift truck more

4 If tires no longer rub after lift you have room for more tire, go to line 1