Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny swap onto ea71?

sorry but no. you can't get the clutch for the 5 speed. you have to use a little 2wd clutch to make a 4 speed d/r work. been there done that. if iremember correctly the flywheels are differant. but you could check the size and the wholes. but i f i remember correctly when i did mine you could only use the 4 speed. because you had to use the 2wd side starter bellhousing, the 2wd flywheel and clutch pack. i believe it was the 1984 ea71 clutch pack i had to use. the 4 speed would be your best bet. but an ea81 engine would be better. larger clutch surface. that was my biggest problem offroading that 1600 i had. 27" tires and the clutch liked to slip alot, if you didn't have a lot of momentum.

Jared

sorry but no. you can't get the clutch for the 5 speed. you have to use a little 2wd clutch to make a 4 speed d/r work. been there done that. if iremember correctly the flywheels are differant. but you could check the size and the wholes. but i f i remember correctly when i did mine you could only use the 4 speed. because you had to use the 2wd side starter bellhousing, the 2wd flywheel and clutch pack. i believe it was the 1984 ea71 clutch pack i had to use. the 4 speed would be your best bet. but an ea81 engine would be better. larger clutch surface. that was my biggest problem offroading that 1600 i had. 27" tires and the clutch liked to slip alot, if you didn't have a lot of momentum.

Jared

what is it that prevents you from using the later ea71 sidemounted starter bellhousing with the four wheel drive flywweel and clutch mounted to a 4spd d/r? i was under the impression that you could do this. will the flywheel not clear the bellhousing? i thought that bellhousing was the same as any other ea81 bellhousing, except with bolt holes to mate to the ea71 crankcase. so you should be able to use a 4speed or a 5 speed flywheel, clutch and tranny. what is it i'm wrong on?

if i remember corectly it's a differant bolt pattern on the flywheel. and there was another reason i couldn't use it. i know there was a reason you had to use the 2wd... and everybody else i know that did the mod had to use the same setup. it's been a few years since i did it. you also have to make or use a differant mount for the clutch cable inside the car. cause you have to use an ea81 clutch cable and it mounts differant in the car.

that would imply that the 2wd and 4wd (ea81) crankshafts have differant bolt patterns. this can't be. this does matter to me. i was planning on mounting a d/r 4 spd on a ea71. can anyone explane why it can't be done?

edit: is it possible that the fatcase ea71 bellhouse would not allow the 4wd ea81 flywheel to clear? were there no 4wd std's after '84?

for that conversion the older topmount starter EA-71 to install the sidemount starter 4sp d/r you had to use the fatcase EA-71 bell housing and flywheel and IIRC the fatcases came in 2wd hatchbacks and you had to use the disc and pressureplate from the fatcase motor too cause of size differences in discs and plates that were limited to the flywheel that is from the fatcase....

the main question monstaru was asking is if a 5sp would fit on the EA-71 in place of the 4sp d/r and it depends if it's 2wd and 4wd if it's 2wd the input shaft should match up with the clutch disc hole but if it's a 5sp 4wd s/r or d/r then the shaft would be too large

I would have to say if you want to experiment and have the disc that will fit the shaft of the 5sp 4wd tranny to see if it will mount in the flywheel and press' plate of the EA-71 conversion and if it does/doesn't let us know that way it increases the knowledge base on the board