Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When did Subaru stop putting a Weather Band radio in the Outback? I went to Subaru's current web site and it's not even listed as an option. :(

I always thought it was a cool idea, since I vividly remember driving through a growing blizzard in Yellowstone and desperately scanning the radio dial on my 2wd Ford Ranger to try and get some idea of the weather forecast.

The main reason I'd rather repair my current radio on my '99 OBW rather than replace the abysmal CD changer is that I don't want to give up the AM/FM/WB head unit.

i just replaced the head unit in my 99 ob limited with an 04 6 disc changer i bought on ebay. it has weatherband. sub must have reintroduced for 04. i wanted a in-dash changer sooner but i, like you, like the weather feature. fyi....i had to give up the tape deck feature.

Martin, I see you made your way from p-net!

I bought an OB radio with single CD, cassette and WB on eBay brand-new in box for $159. There's a woman who sells them there.

I had a '97 with the stock radio and upgraded it to get the CD, the weatherband was a nice addition.

[AKA Garandman]

Martin, I see you made your way from p-net!

I bought an OB radio with single CD, cassette and WB on eBay brand-new in box for $159. There's a woman who sells them there.

I had a '97 with the stock radio and upgraded it to get the CD, the weatherband was a nice addition.

[AKA Garandman]

Heh heh - G-Man, nice to see some familiar faces here. It's weird how so many people with diverse interests frequent the same boards (I've run into several P-netters at some of the motorcycle boards I'm on.)

The reason I asked the question is that Edmund's only lists the radios as being AM/FM Cassette or AM/FM CD, they don't include the weatherband. Oddly enough, even the Subaru web site only indicates that the '05 OBW has an AM/FM CD, no mention of WB. I don't know if that means it's been dropped or if they just don't mention it in their ads (which seems strange to me, if true.)

But if the OBW had a WB radio as recently as '04, then that means if I get a Baja and it doesn't have the WB, I should be able to swap an OBW head unit, right? I mean, they're basically the same vehicle from the C-pillar forward, right?