Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ram Performance

You folks REALLY should be calling these guys up.

http://www.ramengines.com/

From talking to a guy on the XT6 site who stopped by and from the conversation I had today with 'Ron' there, I'm speechless. You turbo folks definitely should be calling them up for inside engine work to go with your TWE parts. *sigh* Seems they have a lot of knowledge about our engines.

That's all I'm going to say for now. Hopefully I'll have some numbers to :eek: and :slobber: some of you in the future. WJM.......call them if you get a chance. ;)

This is interesting. Makes me wonder why.

They must have not been on long. I don't remember them.

Good to know there are some hi-performance Sube guys in this neck of the woods. I will definitely make a point to get aquainted with them, and maybe have them do some of the work I normally send out to my machine shop. This could be an excellent resource.

John

I didn't see anything about ea82's on their website. It looks like they're primarily an aviation engine company, which eliminates the possibility of using ea82s due to the fact that they have timing belts (Just imagine what would happen if a belt went out while in the air. Not so good.)

Something that I will look into if I ever build a hi-po ea82 is their forged pistons, which should cross over no problem. It's also possible that their intake setups would bolt up to the ea82.

I didn't see anything about ea82's on their website. It looks like they're primarily an aviation engine company, which eliminates the possibility of using ea82s due to the fact that they have timing belts (Just imagine what would happen if a belt went out while in the air. Not so good.)
you realize people put ej22's in planes all the time right?

i thought the ej22 was much better on belts than the ea82

Its a misconception that EA82s randomly break belts. If good OEM belts are used and tensioners are replaced appropriately, the chances of an EA82 eating a belt are no greater than an EJ22.

Where people run into problems is, most of the cars on this board are 15-20 years old and have a questionable maintenance history. If aircraft people maintained their aircraft the way 99% of the population maintains their cars, you would see a whole lot more planes falling out of the sky.. belts or no belts...

For the record, I have even seen an EA82T in an ultralight

RAM gets tossed around everytime someone talks about 'real' porformance upgrades for EA81.

Just like every other engine; wanna go fast? Well how much money do you have?

On timing belts I'm with Calebz. I know why I broke a timing belt and it was not becuase EA82's just eat belts. Ideler gear bearings siezed, stripped 2 teath and threw the belt off. Why did it sieze? It's never been replaced and has almost 200,000 miles on it; then I tossed lots of mud and water on it for a few years. That makes bearings angry... :rolleyes:

Its a misconception that EA82s randomly break belts.

Where people run into problems is, most of the cars on this board are 15-20 years old and have a questionable maintenance history. If aircraft people maintained their aircraft the way 99% of the population maintains their cars, you would see a whole lot more planes falling out of the sky.. belts or no belts...

Excellent point, and I believe this is true of vehicles of all makes.

I know a former fleet manager (now retired), who made a career of maintaining a large fleet of cars. His philosophy was to buy cars new, and follow an aggressive preventative maintenance schedule on those cars until they were no longer physically safe. He would easily get 200K + out of some of the worst POS cars on the road in that era. I'm talking Tempo's, Celebrity's, Reliants and S-10's!!

I remember looking thru his maintenance logs, and wondering how in the heck he could actually be saving $$ by putting so much $$ into maintenance. His "secret" was no secret at all: Just follow the manuafacturers recommended service schedule. If anything, err on the side of caution.

He swore up and down that the make or manufacturer didn't matter for what he was trying to accomplish (lowest overall cost). His take on Japanese cars was that they were more reliable, but to benefit from this, you would need to wait until the end of a vehicles life. And by that time, the car wouldn't be safe enough to keep in the fleet any longer. Rust was usually what did the Japanese cars in.

Since our Subes are so forgiving, it's easy to get a false sense of security and slack off on maintenance. This is a mistake unless the car is on it's last leg, IMO. Change those belts right at 60K, and you'll be fine. Even in an airplane...

John

I totally agree with the previous statements.

Preventive Maintenance is the key to longevity of anything mechanical.

You have to spend money to save money. I'm sure y'all's heard that before..

One of the guys from Ram Performance is on the Yahoo BRAT Club site. I've scoped out their site afew times. Good for a :slobber: . Can't afford to buy anything from them at this time, but it's nice to dream.

Granted they are a bit pricey.. but I'm playing odds on my newly acquired EA81 Subie not dying before I save up the $4k for that 140hp longblock. :grin:

An interesting thought.. we've got these nuts up in OH building these 67hp engines into 140/160hp monsters. Who would make a clutch that could handle that? I'd think a regular EA81 clutchset would go up in smoke rather quickly with that much power in front of it.

my turbowagon has a kevlar facing on the clutch disc. it cost me an extra $100. The brand is "Rhino" and I got it from a HD truck clutch shop on special order.

How long have you had this clutch, how does it "feel" when engaging, and what did the whole set cost you (assuming you bought the set)?

also, for $4000, you can do at least 4 EJ22 swaps into EA81 cars, and they start at 140 HP... :brow:

Really? So how would a person with limited to no mechanical skill go about this? Are you saying I can get me an EA81 powered car then with a price of $1000, I can purchase an EJ22 engine and have it put in? If so, where?

Really? So how would a person with limited to no mechanical skill go about this? Are you saying I can get me an EA81 powered car then with a price of $1000, I can purchase an EJ22 engine and have it put in? If so, where?

Getting a very proprietary RAM engine made for a plane, installed in a car, up and running wouldn't be easy either. Neither one should be done by someone with limited mechanical skill. Then again if someone had the money to blow on a RAM engine + clutch they could pay someone to get it installed and runnnig.

You certainly can purchase an EJ22 and have it installed by someone. It's just going to cost more than doing it yourself. Niether one is really a cheap way of going about it if you can't do it yourself or with the help of someone else.