Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vehicle speed sensor?

Snowman

Hey everybody,

Getting ready to do the SPFI conversion on Roxanne in a couple months and I've got pretty much everything figured out except for one issue. In the schematic, it talks about a vehicle speed sensor. What is it, where does it go, and do I need it? My other thought is that maybe like the kickdown switch, it's exclusive to auto-tranny soobs.

Um, let's see. The only other real concern I have is fuel delivery. I've got a fuel pump on the way, and I have the complete wiring harness from the SPFI donor car. Will the factory carbed fuel lines take the pressure, or do I need to run some new, stronger ones? The fuel pump wiring shouldn't be bad, as the relay is included in the harness and I'll just run new wires back to the pump.

Any help would be great.

Are there any other concerns that may come up? It seems pretty straightforward, at least from what I've found in the FSM.

Any help would be great.

Hey everybody,

Getting ready to do the SPFI conversion on Roxanne in a couple months and I've got pretty much everything figured out except for one issue. In the schematic, it talks about a vehicle speed sensor. What is it, where does it go, and do I need it? My other thought is that maybe like the kickdown switch, it's exclusive to auto-tranny soobs.

Yeah, I think it only is on the automatic cars. On the 95 and newer cars the Speedometer is electronic, so in place of the cable they have a sensor, but on the older cars it's cable, so I think it must be something strictly for the automatic trans.

Will the factory carbed fuel lines take the pressure, or do I need to run some new, stronger ones?

I would replace all the clamps with Fuel Injection clamps at a minimum, and if you can replace all the rubber. On an 18 year old car there are bound to be problems with them if you start putting pressure through them.

Keith

The speed sensor is in the speedo head on both autos and manuals. Altho I don't know how much the EA82 cares about it. When I put an EA82T in my 81 wagon I never hooked it up and it didn't care. But when I put the EJ22 in my Loyal the ECU would get confused when I decceled down a hill, so I hooked it up. I'm not sure if the carbed car has it though.

And Keith, good call on the fuel hose, you will definitly want to change that to MPFI hose and use good clamps.

• 1 year later...
Make sure you use hose & clamps rated for fuel injection--the hose is much stronger & the clamps are a "full-circle" type--just ol" hose clamps "bite" into the hose & shorten the lifespan--I've replaced hoses before their time because of wrong clamps---[/quote

did anyone figure out the VSS on. the2004 Forester ? Can not find anything

I think the ECU will still throw a code for not having a speed sensor, but I'm not sure if it will run in limp mode or not. The good news it that Roxanne should already have one installed from the factory.

Yup, I was able to tap into the existing VSS just fine. Gotta love the old soobies...just like Legos, everything fits together however you want it.

Thanks for your help guys. Of course, I finished the conversion about 10 months ago, drove it for several thousand miles, and have since converted to EJ power, but thanks nonetheless!:grin: