Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive heard all about what Redline MT can do... so lets stick to ATF here.

1997 legacy 110,000k AT (obviously). it has always shifted a little hard and went for a long peroid of time with no ATF change, one done since then. i was wondering if anyone has any expierience with the ATF products vs there MT's? its coming into winter so with sub zero starts and all what can i expect as far as smoothing out shifts.

thanx very much Charlie

Hi,

While I haven't used it in a Subaru, I have used Redline D4ATF in another car, in a manual gearbox. It cured a perpetually notchy shifter and quieted things down noticeably.

Others I know who have used it an automatic (non-Subaru) also have been very pleased with it.

Regards,

Adnan

I flushed and filled, changed screen and gasket on my '97 Legacy L Wagon EJ22, with 4EAT! I put AAMCO semi-syn. ATF in it. I belive it shifts firmer now but more predicatable!! It also goes ALLOT longer with out geting dark! It was only $2.99 a qt. at AutoZone.

Joel

Ive heard all about what Redline MT can do... so lets stick to ATF here.

1997 legacy 110,000k AT (obviously). it has always shifted a little hard and went for a long peroid of time with no ATF change, one done since then. i was wondering if anyone has any expierience with the ATF products vs there MT's? its coming into winter so with sub zero starts and all what can i expect as far as smoothing out shifts.

thanx very much Charlie

What is the best way of flushing the AT? Another post suggested removing the return line from the ATF radiator (top hose?) and runiing the engine for a short time.

There was HUGE thread on the old Ultimate Subaru server on the process of removing the cooler lines and flushing the tranny. But, if you keep on top of the fluid changes every 30K, or the old fluid does not look that bad, you should get away without it.

Joel