Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey gang, here is my dilemma. I do have to start by saying that I have always wanted but have never owned a Sub yet. I have always loved the Impreza 2.5RS. Lately, of course, my drool has been finding it's way to the nearest WRX. It just so happens that my wife and I are in the position to actually have one now. Then all of a sudden out comes the 250HP '05 Legacy GT Turbo. Which, performance-data wise, is quite closely matched (corners aside, I'm talkin' daily driver here) to the WRX. And sexy to boot. After driving both, we both really liked the smooth feel of the Leg. It seemed like you actually had to 'try' a little harder to drive the wrx. I feel like I am torn here, from what actual data I can find on these two, here is what I've found:

The Leg is slightly faster (stoplight to stoplight) due to a bigger turbo

WRX is lighter, (200lb) therefore making up for some of this

BUT

The WRX handles curves better and has less body roll due to better suspension

There must be something I'm missing here. Anyone have any experience, data, or anything else I should be considering about these 2? I am at a crossroads. Any help would be fantastic!

thanks,

shawn

Hey gang, here is my dilemma. I do have to start by saying that I have always wanted but have never owned a Sub yet. I have always loved the Impreza 2.5RS. Lately, of course, my drool has been finding it's way to the nearest WRX. It just so happens that my wife and I are in the position to actually have one now. Then all of a sudden out comes the 250HP '05 Legacy GT Turbo. Which, performance-data wise, is quite closely matched (corners aside, I'm talkin' daily driver here) to the WRX. And sexy to boot. After driving both, we both really liked the smooth feel of the Leg. It seemed like you actually had to 'try' a little harder to drive the wrx. I feel like I am torn here, from what actual data I can find on these two, here is what I've found:

The Leg is slightly faster (stoplight to stoplight) due to a bigger turbo

WRX is lighter, (200lb) therefore making up for some of this

BUT

The WRX handles curves better and has less body roll due to better suspension

There must be something I'm missing here. Anyone have any experience, data, or anything else I should be considering about these 2? I am at a crossroads. Any help would be fantastic!

thanks,

shawn

The WRX has a 2.0 liter turbo. And performance numbers show it's *slightly* faster than the Legacy GT.

The Legacy has the 2.5 liter turbo motor. (Also found in the STi, Forester XT and the Baja Turbo) The power potential of the turbo 2.5 is very appealing. Not to mention the additional room due to the Legacy's size.

The new Legacy is a sharp looking car, in sedan or wagon form. As is the Impreza, you can't go wrong with either car. :lol: Good Luck

I thought the legacy turbo did the 1/4 mile in 14.1 secs while the WRX does it in 14.4secs. I think the new legacy was refined a huge amount and aculy has more potential that the WRX, The 2.5 liter is stronger thean the U.S. ej20t, and the susension while under dampended stock has more caster and i think some aluinum suspesnion pices. For a every day driver i would probley take the legacy its fast alittle larger quiter inside, and in my opinion looks better. Dosent the new legacy have the new hubs that the STi gets with stronger wheel bearings? Insuracne will probley be cheaper with the legacy to since there arent as many "spirited drivers" that crash them.

sorry but the WRX is obsolete. The LGT (legacy GT) is faster, better handling, more comfortable, etc.

Never mind it will be stupid cheap to get power out of compared to the WRX. The EJ255 in the legacy is so much better than the EJ205 in the WRX its not remotely funny.

Basicly I should have a LGT w over 400WHP by the end of the year....

Legacy777, I've owned a Stg IV WRX and currently own a 420WHP STi. I had a EVO RS (found a tree...). I am getting a LGT to replace the EVO as it has nearly the same pace w/o any of the crap. And if you drive a WRX and LGT back to back I think you will find just how badly the WRX needs a update. The drivetrain of the LGT is basicly STi spec. This means that the transmission can handle huge power, and the motor will put out said power with a whole lot less effort. The handling is much better in the LGT too. The rear suspension stock is much tighter, and the legacy is on the latest generation of the subaru platform, with this generation being much lighter in the right areas. Basicly they removed alot of wieght off the nose of the car. All for just a few hundred more than a WRX.

Heck the Forester XT makes the WRX look stupid.

...And if you drive a WRX and LGT back to back I think you will find just how badly the WRX needs a update. The drivetrain of the LGT is basicly STi spec. This means that the transmission can handle huge power, and the motor will put out said power with a whole lot less effort. The handling is much better in the LGT too. The rear suspension stock is much tighter...

The wife and I actually did just that, (drive both back to back) and the dealer apparently likes the LGT better too. He had us drive the WRX first, and by the time I had the LGT off the lot I could tell a huge comfort and smoothness difference. Also happened to notice as a side note, you have a lot better 360 visibility from the cockpit in the LGT as well. The only thing I was really concerned about is the body roll. It seemed to have more than what I remembered from the WRX. I really appreciate the input from everyone. All of your feedback has helped me cement the decision I was leaning towards. If all goes smoothly, soon I will be a very happy 1st time SUB owner with a royal blue pearl LGT in my driveway.

The wrx for 05 did get some suspension upgrades over the older ones, but its still meh. Main issue with both the WRX and LGT is stock tires.

Oh and you CAN get better suspension for the LGT right now. Just look into getting the Spec-B takeoffs from Japan. better struts and stiffer springs.

Legacy777, WRX is not a boy-racer. It's too fast for that.

Anyway, it's not fair to compare WRX and LGT directly. The Imp will outrun the Leg in any real-world situation, at least here in Europe where a small agile car will have the advantage both in tight city traffic and on twisty back-roads.

The LGT is medium size car, that has a lot of appeal because it can play a number of roles. The WRX is focused as drivers-car, and that means some comfort is sacrificed...

I would take the LGT. Relaxed cruiser when you just wanna get home, and still very capable of entertaining when the roads are clear. Looks superb, too!

I speak from my experiences with the "import scene" here and around houston. It's just a different crowd compared to someone that would drive a LGT.

For people in their mid 20's, the WRX will still more then likely be a more popular car. It's cheaper for one, and more modable.

Finally a post I can add input too. Took both for a drive and ended up buying a Black on Black Legacy GT Limited Sedan 5-speed. Why? Same driving experience with more room and definitely a sleeper, especially since I opted out of a rear spoiler. I am kinda big (read "fat") at 6'2" 260 and the car is VERY comfortable to drive both short and long distance. Have had It a month now and have been totally impressed with it. Yes there is slightly more body roll (will be swapping out the springs and struts and thicker sway bars) than the WRX and the OEM tires need to go. The power is excellent and the car feels very quick. The 2.5 is infinitely tuneable (I am looking to go 300/300 this year). Even with the stock suspension it handles very well, but I do track my cars and like a "sportier" set up. The best part though---watching the ricer's jaws drop when the sedan blows 'em away. Very impressive car, especially for the money.

And FYI, I traded in my E46 M3 on this car and get just as much spirited driving pleasure from it, as well as being a more practical daily driver. While I cannot realistically compare the two, I can honestly say I am totally enjoying this Subaru.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I bought my Legacy 2.5GT It wasn't on the lot for a week. I saw one a few weeks before they came out that a columist was test driving for a local news paper. Not a week later I recieved an email offering me $25 if i test drove the GT. I went to dealer with a 2003 Outback and with absolutly no intention to buy the GT I drove it home!

All I have to say is BAD A$$!!!!

Add a boost controller and a boost guage, crank the boost and you could be running 300hp all day long! Im not totally sure of the differances between the STI and the GT's engines but this thing is a beast. I would Imagine the 400HP+ at the wheels is no problem without any major mods!

I bought dark blue automatic (sports shifter) because my wife doesnt really want to ride a stick all day at home and on the road, YA know. The Sports shifter is actually really nice! Keeps the turbo in the sweet spot when ever you want it, shifts fast and when you want it minus the clutch(faster shifts). The normal auto mod isnt that bad it seems to shift short some times except at WOT it will shift at redline every time. Its the perfect sleeper stock! Add some mods and it will be retarded fast!

No other Subaru has a nicer interior for the power and handling. DO NOT PASS UP THIS SUBI!!!