Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Legacy 2.2L HELP!!!

I have a 1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon (2.2L). My Grandparents purchased it new, and it was given to me when they passed away in November of 2003. They never drove over 55 mph, and it sat for three months before I could go and get it. I had to drive it almost 1000 miles back home. The only problem is that the Check Engine light was on for about the first 150 miles, but than went off after new gasoline was added. It has been running well since; until now... It will not hold an idle. When I pull up to a stoplight the engine rpm goes up and down, and if I don't give it gas, it dies. Also, it smells really rich, is belching black smoke when revved, and sputters and tries to die (unless I stomp the gas peddle). I checked the fuel line, and it was cracked and leaking, so I replaced it and the fuel filter, and it is still doing it!!! I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. The engine is a 2.2L. The car is in immaculate condition, and it holds sentimental value for me, as when my grandparents got to old to drive, I would drive them to their appointments in it; so, the car and I have a history also. I'm sorry this e-mail is so long, I’m feeling very frustrated!!! :banghead: Any help would be appreciated - Also, does anyone know if this model/type has two fuel filters? I found the canister filter in the engine compartment - is there another one???

unplug the oxygen sensor and see if the problem goes somewhat away. if it changes any, then replace the oxygen sensor

the 2 fuel filters are only in the older carbureted models.

although the 1.8 ohc (ea82) motor was made til 1994, your 1990 2.2 (ej22) would be considered "new generation of subarus" so you should post there and get all the info you need!

dont be disappointed that your car is having a bad day, the 2.2 is regarded as one of the most reliable subaur motors ever, and it will run forever if you keep up on the maintenance like changing the timing belt after 100,000 miles.

unplug the oxygen sensor and see if the problem goes somewhat away. if it changes any, then replace the oxygen sensor

the 2 fuel filters are only in the older carbureted models.

although the 1.8 ohc (ea82) motor was made til 1994, your 1990 2.2 (ej22) would be considered "new generation of subarus" so you should post there and get all the info you need!

dont be disappointed that your car is having a bad day, the 2.2 is regarded as one of the most reliable subaur motors ever, and it will run forever if you keep up on the maintenance like changing the timing belt after 100,000 miles.

Thanks, I will try your advice. I'm, just trying to keep from burning it down to the tires!!! Fuel issues make me nervous - Again, thanks...