Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can u put a ford 9 inch rear and drive train into a subaru wagon

You can do anything with liberal application of the hot wrench. Question is...why would you want to? The Ford 9" is very strong, but also VERY inefficient. A subaru doesn't weigh enough to need that much strength, so you trade strength against efficiency. That's why Soob folks tend to run Nissan and Yota straight axles. Don't need anything heavier. If you are just dead set on running Ford gear, why not use a Ford rig in the first place? If you just want the Subaru body...maybe look at swapping a wagon body onto a Ranger frame?

hmm regardless of initial body and frame weight bigger tires and gearing do have a tendancy to take its toll on the lesser of axles...

granted running asuby motor with toy axles and say .. oh 38 inch tires you prolly cannot develope enough low end tourqe even with gear reduction to break em but add a v'6 or something and well anything can go wrong

myself if.when i build stuff i try and over build what i can .. just so i do not have to worry about it later

kinda like say for instance that tiny suspension bushing you replaced with a cheap stock piece... instead of the few dolalrs more beffier one .. and now yout stuck out in the middle of no where with no help and no suspension..

farfetched example prolly.. but you can see the point i think

heh if i get to do my project .. i am dreaming 2.5 ton rockwell axles multilink suspension chain box 700 r4 tranny and of course a suby heart turbo and efi of course hehe

maybe caged ifs on teh end of multilink.. it works out in my head.. not sure how it works in real world

how to put a ford 9 inch rear and drive train into a subaru wagon and what would have to be done to mount the rears in place if it can be done?

It can be done. You can put whatever rear end you want in there. The real question is how much time and money do you have? :-p