Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front flasher lights replacement problem

I'm in the process of replacing all outside lights (good preventive maintenance after 9 years) as they have begun to fail one after another.

Just one problem: how to replace front flashers and position lights.

Haynes is wrong cause it shows the front headlight housing in two parts, the side part (which contains the flasher and position lights) being removable independently.

On my 96 Brighton the head lights housing is in one part.

Do I have to remove this entire housing to get at the flashers? And if so, will I have to realign the headlights afterwards?

Any help will be welcomed.

P.-S,: I've not checked the heater blower motor yet but will soon. To those you helped me on that one and offered a replacement motor, thanks again.

I'm in the process of replacing all outside lights (good preventive maintenance after 9 years) as they have begun to fail one after another.

Just one problem: how to replace front flashers and position lights.

Haynes is wrong cause it shows the front headlight housing in two parts, the side part (which contains the flasher and position lights) being removable independently.

On my 96 Brighton the head lights housing is in one part.

Do I have to remove this entire housing to get at the flashers? And if so, will I have to realign the headlights afterwards?

Any help will be welcomed.

P.-S,: I've not checked the heater blower motor yet but will soon. To those you helped me on that one and offered a replacement motor, thanks again.

I believe it's easier if you remove the headlight housing. There are 3 screws, two on top and one behind the grill, kinda pain to get to. Remove the plastic clips holding the grill in and you'll be able to get to the last screw. Just pull the headlight forward and twist the flasher bulb out by its plastic housing. not too difficult

Good luck

Thanks. I did exactly that and it was easy. Did'nt seem to disturb the headlights alignment.

Found out that in front, contrary to the rear, the flasher light and position light are in one and the same bulb (two filaments).

To those who might do the same, go easy specialy with the third bolt (the one behind the grill). The right one was very much rusted and I broke it without even putting that much torque on it. Good thing was the stub that was left + a nylon tie were enough to secure it back without me having to get the bolt extractor.

Thanks again 97 Subaru GT.