Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What type of AWD ? New 96 Legacy L Owner

I have just purchased a 1996 Legacy L wagon with AWD, ABS brakes automatic tranmission. I saw it in a salvadge yard with only sheet metal damage on the front end.The car otherwise looks like it has been well cared for. The engine sounded fine and the car is clean and well maintained. It however has 95k miles on the odometer. How many miles can I expect to get without major problems?

And what type of AWD does this car have? The maintenance log was up to date. I repaired the body with used parts from the salvadge yard.

hi :)

D = 90%Front/10%Rear

3 = 90%Front/10%Rear

2 = 50%Front/50%Rear

1 = 50%Front/50%Rear

R = 50%Front/50%Rear

The percentage of power to the wheels is obviously subject to road conditions. Sounds like a good buy. The 2.2L engine is pretty damn tough so 95K isn't much at all. I do think you have a major service interval right around 100K however...you should do that :)

Sounds like you got a sweet deal. I bought a 95 Lecagy LSi wagon that had been wrecked in the front. Had to replace the whole front bumper assembly, hood, and one fender. It was cheaper to buy aftermarket replacement sheetmetal and bumper cover, as Subarus are impossible to find in salvage yards around here (KY), especially ones with a usable front end. I had to pay someone to replace a front wheel bearing and although the car looked and drove straight, I still had a guy put the car on his rack and make sure the rails were perfect. I did some Bondo smoothing on light lower door/rocker panel damage. I did the repairs to the body & painted the replacement parts, but haven't gotten around to painting the whole car yet. It matches fairly well, but I want to two-tone, sport stripe it.I probably have $1600 invested in the car. It's got 150,000 miles and drives sweet. Haven't seen any oil spots on my drive or noticed any significant oil loss at fluid checks, but there is oil accumilation on the bottom rear of the cengine--nothing serious though. I bought the car from a lot that rebuilt wrecks. I had a '94 Cavalier that I had paid $600 for to drive temporairly, put $50 seat covers on, recovered the back dash, and painted some cool semi-gloss black hood stripes on to cover up a bad spot in the factory paint. The guy took my Cavalier and $100 for the Subie. :cool: I was pleased. Leather interior and power sunroof and CD changer and ABS are nice to have. As soon as I re-paint the car I'll post a pic or two.

I assume your car had a salvage title? Just so you are aware, your insurance company will offer you only 60-70% of your car's book value if it is totaled and had a rebuilt title.

I've been driving my Subie for a little over a month now. I love it. The 2.2 is a great engine and should last a looooong time with proper maintenance. If you don't have any record of service to the car, everyone here seems to be in agreement that a timing belt is a good bet. I'm curious to see how the AWD steps up for me when I need it.