Ultimate Subaru Message Board

overdriving windshield wipers

Greetings Subie-folk,

I seem to have a problem w/ my windshield wipers on my 95 legacy...hoping someone can give me some advice.

I've noticed lately that the wipers are awefully loud and finally observed that the driver's side is overdriving (going past its designed stopping point before returning) and hits the a-pillar.

Does anyone know it this can be fixed by adjusting something or is it time for a junkyard visit to find a new motor assy?

Thanks,

Thorsten

Thanks for your replies guys.

Didn't think about repositioning the arm. I'll have to check it out.

I guess there's a possibility that something is stripped, because when first turning the wipers on, they do fine for first few swings (stopping well before a-pillar) before overdriving and hitting the pillar. It also seems they overdrive at the opposite end (judging by the noise) although I haven't verified this yet. Maybe the nut holding the arm is just loose...

Another great design from the Subie engineers, at least on my '96, the wiper post is not splined, so if the nut loosens just a bit, the wiper arm is free to move about the cabin while the seatbelt sign is off.

Most automobiles have splined posts to prevent this from happening.

My '94 legacy has splined posts, and my wipers did the same thing after replacing a wiper arm. do the repositioning ASAP, if it continues to hit that pillar/frame of the windshield, it will strip the internal mechanism. i know this from experience. if it were to be stripped, the arm would not move at all.

jared