Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Guest 99obw

Doing 2.5L Phase I head gasket job myself...

Guest 99obw

I bought new rear rotors and pads today. They went on easily. I topped off the coolant and tranny fluid. I also adjusted the parking brake.

It runs great. I was unable to make exhaust bubbles appear in the overflow tank. (Sigh of relief)

I don't know how long the repair will last. The heads were straight to within 0.001", so I see no reason I shouldn't get another 120k.

Next the struts.......

Thanks to all that contributed!

99obw

Guest 2002LegacyGT

These rear rotors have the built-in drum for the parking brake, right? I don't think they'd turn well on any lathe I've seen. Anyone successfully turn rotors of this type?

Guest 99obw

Yes, they have the drum style parking brake. I don't know enough about brake lathes to comment. The disc part of the rotor seems to wear nearly as much as the pads, so I thought new ones were a good idea. The brakes feel much better.

99obw

Guest Legacy777

Everyone done with this? I'll put it in the archives in a day or so if no one has anything further to say.

RodA2003 (or anyone): Can you please explain how you were able to change the valve shims without the "special tool" as described in this thread? I would like to do the same.

Thanks

Rich