Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a friend with a MR2 , the guys on his board all told him to thrrow on a MBC , the guys on the old WRX forum i was at all said not to do it, the risk of spiking is to great. but why is it any different from the MR2s and WRXs , i mean if all these guys have them on their cars and dont have any problems, wouldnt that be the same with me, if i do it correctly? and if you guys dont have any bad thoughts of the MBC and think i should go for it, what PSI do you recomend setting it at, my thoughts were either 16.5 or 17. again any comment would be greatly appreciated.

I think it does vary alot between turbo cars if MBCs work well. Some cars read boost diffrently and try to control it difrently, and some MBCs are alot better than others, which both can contribute to boost spikes. For tha amount of boost i cant say some engines cant handle 10 PSI stock and others can handle 30 PSi so i cant say becasue i know nothing about that motor, only that toyota genrally over builds turbo cars, maybe excpet in the shead gaskaket area. And maybe i heard that the 90 ish MR2s seconde, to the newest gen have basilcy a 2gzegte with 2 less cylinders, and those engines are way over built.

It's an expensive car with an expensive engine to replace, so why buy a cheap boost controller which controls the one thing that will destroy your engine? I ran one on my RX and destroyed the motor within a week. Boost was spiking early and killed the bearings. You can get a good electronic controller for $100.

Keith

my personal opinion

i use a saab apc boost controller fo rme its great if i want more boost i turn a small adjustment plus it listens if the motor start to detonate and drops down the boost ... nice

if i was not apc enabled i would use my megasquirt boost control option that i have

mbc's while nice and cheap... but not what i would consider for a expensive motor. or for that matter even my cheap ea82t motor :)

personall opinion ect ect :)

my personal opinion

i use a saab apc boost controller fo rme its great if i want more boost i turn a small adjustment plus it listens if the motor start to detonate and drops down the boost ... nice

thanks,

how much boost are you at with your Saab controller, how much do they run for, my pockets are not deep. im only looking at 100$ to 150$ for a boost controller, and i will say i am not planning on hooking up my homemade MBC anymore. if the Saab controller is out of question, that electric controller for 100$ mentioned, what make is that?