Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 headcount

calebz

Ok.

I know Tex has a TD04 and I have read his fairly detailed explanation of how he went about it.

I know Garner has a Td04 and have a reaonable idea of how he went about it.

Is anyone else here running an EA82 with a TD04 13G on it? Thoughts specifically on uppipe and any potential inlet/outlet fitment problems on stock- non spyder manifolds?

Russ, you have one uninstalled don't you? any thoughtsa so far?(I promise I'll listen to you at least this one time;))

Lets just make this the official TD04 EA82 thread.. I know I'm not the only one considering it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banana: ok I will remain calm.

yes I too am going TD04. I have the turbo and down pipe. intercooler should show up tomarow. all stock wrx stuff.

the up pipe for now will be a stock ea82 one with an extension welded on to bolt down the third flange bolt in back. I then will either make my own up pipe out of prebent mandrel tubing or buy one of those beautifull units WJM has worked so hard to get rollin.

the stock wrx down pipe will fit perfect. I already test fited it on the car.

I am changing over to a wrx type intercooler because of the TD04s lack of clockable housing. the waste gate actuator only goes on one way so you only get the option of out to the side. no up and into the intercooler like I currently have.

the oil and coolant lines look like they will be direct bolt ons.

hoses and stuff have yet to be completed as I am still waiting for that stupid intercooler to come in.

Its a little more difficult because my wife sold her car and took mine:-\

well hopefully that will be done soon.

I will document the process fully when I do it.

i have a td04, wrx downpipe, and tmic. i also have acquired a 3" catback from a wrx. i just need to get a header made for the turbo as well as a short midpip to go inplace of the second and third cats from a wrx's exhaust setup. then i will only need new injectors, some kind of fuel management, and intercooler plumbing.

so have you done a test fit of the wrx catback? I was courious if it would fit on an ea82.

Russ, I'm interested in how you are going to do the flange setup. I do have a little fabrication capability (access to equipment), but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. Main reason is I want to compile a list of upgrades that are as close to 'bolt-on' as possible for future EA82T owners that want more without having to fab themselves a whole new car... That and .. well.. I'm a lazy cheapskate :lol:

so have you done a test fit of the wrx catback? I was courious if it would fit on an ea82.

Russ, I'm interested in how you are going to do the flange setup. I do have a little fabrication capability (access to equipment), but I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. Main reason is I want to compile a list of upgrades that are as close to 'bolt-on' as possible for future EA82T owners that want more without having to fab themselves a whole new car... That and .. well.. I'm a lazy cheapskate :lol:

Get a flange for a TD04 and weld it on. :banana:

I'll chime in here with my experience with the tdo4...

I don't know about how the fitment would work with the standard intake but I only had to ovalize the back mounting hole on the tdo4 to get it to bolt to the stock up-pipe, the other two were dead on.

With the spider and wrx intercooler, I needed the turbo up and back a little to make the plumbing as straight forward as possible and not spend a ton of money on silicone elbows. I know alot of you have seen this but here's my "up a little further pipe"

http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama/uppipe2

and how he fitment worked out with the extra rise

http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama/turbonow2

you can see that without the tmic, this is doable but It's really a clean plumbing job with it

http://usmb.net/gallery/garners-sub-a-rama/underthehoody

The straight silicone tubes are fairly cheap but the elbows are like $30-$40, ouch! One expense that I couldn't avoid was the purchase of a used Samco y-pipe for the intercooler, it was impossible for me to get the stock hard plastic y-pipe to work as it is difficult to flex and or cut and lengthen....

I still haven't got everything dialed in the tuning department but I don't think the tdo4 is too big for the EA82T. I comes on a little latter than the stock units I've driven but with a reasonable cross-over/uppipe and a wide open exhaust, I think it will spool plenty fast. In a perfect world (one in which I had tons of money) I'd probably get some work done by deadbolt, mostly clipping and balancing.

With the plethora of guys buying WRXs and upgrading turbos after a few K miles, tdo4's are almoast paper weight to them, I bought mine for $100 shipped. A could have gotten a stock unit for a little less but generally they have a few 100K on them and often leak oil or have horrible shaft play. Pay attention to NASIOC and act fast when you see one for a reasonable price. Be sure to get the person to declare there is no oil leaks and no extra shaft play, I think some of these guys upgrade after cooking there tdo4 so watch out....

Bottom line, go for it

garner

I am not going to weld on another flange. if I did that it would require removal of the up pipe. I will be doing this in car. because like I said It is going to be a temporary set up untill I build or buy something better.

I have fitted the TD04 on a spare (but leaky) up pipe. the distance between the rear mounting hole and the edge of the flange is rather close. I will take a 3/8 bolt. mount the turbo to the flange. put the 3/8 bolt in the rear hole with a nut on it. tack weld it to the flange to make sure all things line up properly. unbolt turbo and weld it in place properly. I am using 3/8 instead of 10mm because stainless nuts are much more common than metric. stainless is not effected by all that heat as bad as regular steel fasteners.

on the exhaust. I will only be using the down pipe from the wrx. the rest I can patch together with aluminized exhaust tubing. I have made two other 2.5" exhaust systems and am starting to get the hang of it.

the catback that i have is a simple streight pipe for the mid section, then a bent pecie that goes to the muffler. i still need a 1' long section to connect the dp to the cat back.

i am going t oa talk to a friend of mine that is in tight with the local tuners and see if i cant get a good deal on the parts i need.

:banana::D:drunk: :cool: my intercooler came in!!!!

sorry got a bit excited. I will get back after I make some real progress.

one step closer.

so out of curiosity. would any one be interested in a TD04 conversion "kit"?

I am considering puting together a parts list, instructions, prices ect. along with others that are in the same boat as me.

so today was the first day of TD04 conversion.

first thing I noticed was that I was going to need a different location for the O2 sensor. it is currently in the down pipe but the wrx unit has it in the up pipe.

no worries. I had an old up pipe that had cracked. it had an 02 bung in it unlike the one on the car now. I cut off the heat shields to find the leak. well I found it but I also found out how restricted the bend before the turbo is inside. :-\

ok so I will have to work on that too.

well I decided modify the flange to accept the td04. I got it notched and my new "stud" welded in place. the turbo now bolts right up.:D

so I am delayed while I wait for silicone elbows to come in and I need to make a bracket for the WRX intercooler.

well at least the process is started.

I do have detailed pics but cannot resize them properly.

i am planning on having a custom header/ uppipe fabbed up for my set up. hte stock header is way too restrictive. i am planning a borla look-a-like with the collector right before the turbo. if i do it right, it should increase the speed of the exhaust right at the turbo helping to spool it sooner. should decrease lag greatly. i hope

CALEBZ- you got pics in the mail. and thank you.

I just finished the up pipe.

I went to my local muffler shop and got a little bent section a good bit larger than the restrictive original.

I cut off all the old heat shielding. I will be wraping it before install.

then I built a jig to hold the flanges in position properly.

flared out the ends of the stock up pipe and welded in the new section.

I test fit the TD04 on it and it fits great.

I cannot down the car untill I have the silicone parts to complete this properly.

where is that UPS guy?

Heres pic of Russ' uppipe. Looks great!
Cool!

But looking at the pictures, my first thought was that I would want to wrap a piece of steel strap from the edge of the flange around your new bolt. Might not matter. but might keep bolt from cracking its welds later.

Just a thought...

I thought about the extra material around the bolt too but decided to just weld around the bottom side where the head is. you cant really see that in the pic too well. but hey I have not had any welds fail recently either. this will be a good test of my ability to get enough penitration in my welds.

calebz- thank you:drunk:

yeah now that I have the jig made up it would be rather easy to build more of these. they are no where near as cool as the stainless mandrle bent units that are coming to some people. but this is a budget job right now.

that new section of pipe is twice the size of the original. the part that you see from the left bank is actually double walled with a smaller size inside.

you might also notice that at one point in time I tried to "port" the openings a bit.

that new section of pipe is twice the size of the original. the part that you see from the left bank is actually double walled with a smaller size inside.

for real ? It doesn't look that big. As far as I can tell ffrom the research I've done, you don't want to go too big right before the turbo as it allows the gas to slow down and thus the turbo doesn't spin as fast/boost as quick etc.

I learned this after I made my "up a little further pipe". When I redo it I'm using 1 5/8" id primaries and merge to a 1 3/4" id (it's 2" id now), just enough for the pulses to get in line in an orderly fashion before spinning the turbo...

Anyway, for a fix on the cheap, I think you've done an excellent job and I'm sure this thing will flow better than the stocker. Now, to deal with that wacked merge point on the passenger side where the exhaust gas actuall enters backwards, POS cross over....

garner

for real ? It doesn't look that big. As far as I can tell ffrom the research I've done, you don't want to go too big right before the turbo as it allows the gas to slow down and thus the turbo doesn't spin as fast/boost as quick etc.

I learned this after I made my "up a little further pipe". When I redo it I'm using 1 5/8" id primaries and merge to a 1 3/4" id (it's 2" id now), just enough for the pulses to get in line in an orderly fashion before spinning the turbo...

Anyway, for a fix on the cheap, I think you've done an excellent job and I'm sure this thing will flow better than the stocker. Now, to deal with that wacked merge point on the passenger side where the exhaust gas actuall enters backwards, POS cross over....

garner

thats true about the size. I hear that.

the problem I see is that the pipe from the second bank on up is smaller than the pipe from the first one over to the second. now you think that you would want it proportionaly larger to accomidate the extra exhaust from the right bank exhaust. I looked at how the wrx set up is on my brother in laws car when we installed an aftermarket up pipe. the stock WRX unit is a good deal larger than our ea82T units. the one I made is still a bit smaller than his aftermarket one so I think it will be ok. its 2" pipe that has been bent(crimped) so that should bring the size right into the range that you are looking for.

right before the turbo it still slims down a bit to speed it up a little.

the stock unit slims down to about 1" id where the bend is. you ca see that old piece on the floor in the shot with the jig.

I cant wait to offically join the TD04 club.