Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 headcount

calebz

I don't really need a larger wastegate cause my TWE dp has a bellmouth, I used to run a dp I made that was 2" but was not bellmouth and In 4 and 5 I had horrible boost creep, now rock solid at 14psi. The td04 is designed for more exhaust flow/pressure and intake flow/pressure, I want to boost above 14psi and not be at the max of what my compressor will do without heating issues. If it works I'll have a better ratio, and more torque with faster spools to my desired boost level of 14 to 18psi [depending on time of year]. The exhaust side of my turbo is fine, the intake blows[ stupid pun i know].

If it doesn't work then I'll go with the whole td04 and start looking for a bb turbo.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running a sube speed DP with a wide "bell mouth" it actually seemed to make the over boost more noticable. I think in the stock configuration the waste gate dumping right into the turbo outlet acts as a break. if you make that flow better you break is gone and you are relying on the wastegates ability to dump enough exhust to slow the turbo down. the WRX turbos waste gate is almost twice the size as the stock unit on an EA82T.

yeah full boost at 3000 RPM. I dont have a problem with that. only a couple hundred RPM off the stock unit form what the car did before. now it does start spooling up well before 2000 so you do have boost t low RPM. now maby its just me but if I want power out of a car I down shift and romp on it to use the higher end of the RPM band. I dont over rev. just keep RPM up there. In my opinion Its far worse to lug a motor than rev it up a bit.

best of all I love the sound of the TD04. sounds like a real turbo.

best of all I love the sound of the TD04. sounds like a real turbo.

Oh hell Russ.. Now why did you have to go and say that...Now I want to hear it.

But given my schedule.. One day per week to actually get any work done on the car.. Max 2 hours on that day.. Its going to be another month probably :(