Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to check in tank fuel filter

I was just looking through my 87 factory service manuals, they have a diagram of the fuel system, that shows an in tank filter, I am assumeing this is just a screen over the intake but just want to make sure. Has anyone seen this filter and what is the best way to have a look at it.

The car is the 86 turbo wagon in sig. It had been sitting for 2 or so years and I just want to make sure there isn't anything blocking my fuel lines.

I was just looking through my 87 factory service manuals, they have a diagram of the fuel system, that shows an in tank filter, I am assumeing this is just a screen over the intake but just want to make sure. Has anyone seen this filter and what is the best way to have a look at it.

The car is the 86 turbo wagon in sig. It had been sitting for 2 or so years and I just want to make sure there isn't anything blocking my fuel lines.

Your only hope would be to drain the tank (with a pump) then yank the fuel sender. You might be able to see it then.

under the floor mat in the cargo area is a key hole shaped cover of metal about six inches long held down by one phillips head screw. Lift the cover and you will be able to see the top of the sending unit. remove the 5 or 6 nuts that hold it down and lift the sending unit out to inspect the filter. really easy.

I'm old school and I've always felt that "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." That said, if you have a fuel blockage, the symptoms should be pretty obvious. I've had an '86 wagon that sat for three years unused and after changing the external fuel filter (and some other obvious items) the car ran just fine. Outside of water in the gas from condensation (a can of dry gas will clear that), it's pretty unlikely that anything would get into the gas tank and clog the internal filter. I wouldn't go through the trouble of checking the internal filter screen unless there's a good reason to do so.

• 2 months later...

I have to check my filter. I feel like I'm getting very little fuel for 3 or 4 seconds when I stop at a light sometime or start/stopping on a hill (which can be a real bummer as I nearly stall the car). I doesn't happen all the time too. Almost like there is a little Subaru Embolism that blocks the line and frees up and then blocks the line again. Not sure.

Simon