Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Throttle Position Sensor.. Please Help

Guest 94LegacyL

Hi,

This is my first time posting but I have a question, although it might be a dumb one. Today I was cleaning my engine bay, I took off the dust cover, which is in the middle and has MPFI and etc on it. Then I realized how dirty it was. I saw the TP Sensor and it was covered with dirt. I removed the screws, and took off the sensor. I only used a clean rag and no chemicals. Then I lined up the white marks which were there before, plugged everything back in and the CEL came on. I pulled the codes and it was the TP Sensor. I tried moving it barely in every direction but to no avail. I havent tried testing the voltage because I dont have a tester but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Guest Legacy777

Shouldn't have pulled that guy off without knowing exactly where to line it up.

I'm assuming you have a 94 Legacy L......correct?

To fix it, you will need a multimeter and a feeler gauge, one that has 0.028" and 0.035"

The first gen legacies had the throttle on/off switch in the TPS. So that is the key one to get adjusted properly.

I've got a pic I scanned from the FSM about how to adjust and set the sensor.....but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I may have posted it......but since the search engine still sucks I'll have to find it when i get home.

Guest 94LegacyL

Josh...

Thanks for the help.. I saw some testing equipment up at Lowes for a alright price. I will use that chart to test the lines and thanks again..

94LegacyL

Guest Legacy777

All you really need to do is use this diagram

TPS_testing3.jpg

Make sure you use the bottom idle stop screw like in the picture, not the top one.

Guest Scoobius Maximus

I have adjusted the throttle screw. It did nothing. Why does Subaru always say do not adjust?? What happens when you do? I have, and everything is still okay! What does this mean??

OMG

WTF

Maximus!!

Guest Legacy777

what have you adjusted?

There are two throttle stop screws. One "can" be adjusted, that's the one up top, the one at the bottom where the pic says to put the feeler gauge in.....do not touch that screw. Really you shouldn't have messed with the top one either......

You gotta adjust the TPS according to those instructions. If you can not do this, you need to take it to someone that can.

• 2 weeks later...