Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat belt

Guest shortlid

Has anyone had to have the drivers side seat belts replaced because if fraying and backward installation?? I think there is a life of the car warrantee on seat belts??

Guest shortlid

I don't want to have my Mom driving around with improper safety equipment. You can't tell me that this problem has never arised in any car the group has owned.

Guest SmashPDX

I have never had a problem with fraying or "backward installation" on a seat belt, nor do I know anyone who has. I have seen plenty of people who have twisted their seat belts up on their own pretty bad and don't seem to care about getting them fixed or refraining from twisting them around again. I tend to think like you, safety first, but there seem to be a lot of people more proccupied by the "hassle" of thinking about taking care of their safety equipment.

That permanent warranty thing... I honestly don't know. I think I've heard the question before somewhere, but I can't recall the answer. You got a warranty and maintenance handbook? It should be in there. But if it's truly a bum-from-the-factory issue, I'd at least be asking my dealer what they thought about it either way.

Guest Legacy777

As far as I know the safety belts have a lifetime warrantee....or at least the mad mice ones do on the early gen legacies. I don't see why the other ones wouldn't...

Just take it to the subie dealer and ask them if it is warrantee work.

Guest kevinsUBARU

Seat belts are under warranty for 999,999 miles. (for real!:) )

So youre SOL if you have a million miles ;)

Go get them warrantied!!

Kevin

Guest kevinsUBARU

After my recent rash of repair bills, my Impreza might go for a million miles, but I swear on my grave that I will not be the owner when it turns 000000:lol:

Kevin

Guest canajun2eh

Yup, the driver's seat belt on my 92 Legacy L frayed quite badly for no reason I could fathom.

I didn't bother going to the dealer. I just got a used one from a junkyard.

I don't know what you mean about backward installation.

Regards,

Gerry Kroll

Guest shortlid

Thanks group!! It is frayed on the edge facing the front of the car. And by backwards installation I mean the tongue of the male part of the buckle faces the B-pillar when the belt is retracted all the way an NOT TWISTED!!! So. basically you HAVE to twist the belt to get it to engage the female buckle mounted to the seat??? It has been this way since we bought the car, it just started fraying though.

Guest rcoaster

That happens often. It is not attributed to backwards installation, you just twist the belt around a bit and then slide the buckle over the twisted portion, and voila, it's facing the right direction. I guess the previous owner could have cared less about his/her seatbelts. A little wear on the edges is considered normal.

RC!

Guest shortlid

Again the group has helped me immensely. I did what you instructed and was able to strightened it out again. Man, I would have felt like a idiot at the stealership!

Guest SmashPDX

Yeah ditto that rc. It amazes me, again, how many folks either just leave it as is, assume that it can't get that way through regular use, or can't eyeball it and fix it.

short, glad you got your trouble fixed.