Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally I got a chance to post up here

Yay! I'm going to Woburn, MA this coming friday to pick up my new baby,

98 Outback! So happy to be joining the new gen crew. Everything went well, paid the deposit, bought a train ticket!!(choo choo) and packed my snack. But I called the dealers yesterday to ask if the car needs a temporary license plate, but MA don't give out temporary license plate!!! And Michigan won't issue one without a title, but of course dealers wont send the title unless full payment have been made. Okay even if I send the rest of the payment using a overnight, they will be getting it tomorrow, then they will the title using overnight to me, and I will be getting it on friday morning or afternoon. Ack, my train leaves 1:05am on Friday...I won't home to get the title...What should I do, what should I do....So I came up with a brilliant idea at the same time an illegal action...I will be taking off a license plate from my dad's CR-V, and putting on the Soobie. If I get pulled over, I will tell the officer that I just bought the vehicle and it is in process of title transfer..:brow: haha. Hopefully this will work out...I really hope this won't cause me any trouble.

Dan

A word to the wise from soeone who has bought and sold hundreds of cars....Don't put a tag on the car at all on the drive back! IT is better to have no tag on it than to have a false tag. You could get a nice big ticket for that. Just make sure you add the vehicle to your insurance before you leave and keep a copy of the policy with you. Also, most states will let you purchase a "trip tag" at the DMV near where you are purchasing the vehicle. It only cost a few dollars and is good for about a week or so. I would look into that if I were you.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on the Subie! :clap:

I could never buy a car that I had not driven and looked over for repaired accident damage?

As long as you have your sales papers & insurance, you should be able to talk your way out of any sort of problem :eek:

Drive carefully and keep a phone with you!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

A word to the wise from soeone who has bought and sold hundreds of cars....Don't put a tag on the car at all on the drive back! IT is better to have no tag on it than to have a false tag. You could get a nice big ticket for that. Just make sure you add the vehicle to your insurance before you leave and keep a copy of the policy with you. Also, most states will let you purchase a "trip tag" at the DMV near where you are purchasing the vehicle. It only cost a few dollars and is good for about a week or so. I would look into that if I were you.

Hope this helps.

This could be a good idea, but I probably get stopped everytime cop sees me...More often than not, those cheap***** will give me a ticket for not having a temporary license plate...Which I cant get one because MA doesn't have such a thing. Plus the idea with taking another license plate was given to me as final solution by the dealer. Plus I'm not too worried about getting into a trouble because my dad is coming along with me..he's old..I think he's 59..:-\ Well at least cop wont think us as a duo car thefts..(one 18 and one 59....):lol:

Dan

still don't do that if a cop stops you just explain to them that MA doesn't issue temp tags at all and your just trying to get it back home to get it registered and stuff and show them the paperwork that way they know that you just bought the vehichle and are just trying to get it home and they are nice about that trust me on that cause when we got the OBS the temp tag kept falling off the rear window and then we would get stopped mainly cause of no tags and after reviewing the paperwork they let us go

Just to be on the safe side call (or go online) a DMV or wherever they tag vehicles in that state and ask if they have trip tags. Don't say you want a temp tag. Tell them your situation and see what they have available. I have done it for people that flew in to purchase an RV or vehicle from me.

Just for peace of mind I sent an e-mail to the MA DMV requesting info. I will lt you know my findings ASAP.

I have put alot of miles on the highways of america been to both coasts and seen many cars without tags. more in texas than anywhere for some reason? anyways!

since your buying this car from a dealer why cant he give you temp. plates?

i would go without plates rather than trying to fit in with your fake ones and get pulled over for some minor infraction then screwed over by some hodung cop for trying to deceive the law.

thats just me i have a way with police officers.

as long as you have the title the cars yours.

oh yeah and dont forget your license

have a safe trip on the train!

peace

oh yeah

nice ride