Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX 4dr??.I didn't know that!!.Question..

Guest slagathor1

Guest slagathor1

While looking on autotrader as usual, to see if there where any RX's in my part of the U.S. for sale(:lol: :lol: :lol: YEAH RIGHT!!:lol: ), I noticed an 86' 4dr RX for sale in California.

Up until 2'day I thought all the RX's were 87'-89' 3dr hatches!!

Goes to show ya how many Soobs I see around these parts!!

Guess my question is, what years did they make the RX in the 4dr & what years were the 3dr hatches made??.Also i'm assuming that all the RX's had the EA82 engine..

Tony in S. Illinois

89' DL retired

92' Loyale 4WD

Guest WagonsOnly

Every couple of months or so this comes up. Could one of the moderators please archive this once it's gotten straight?

To the best of my knowledge the first RXs were available in 1985 only as 4-door sedans (this was before the 3-dr was introduced) and only in white. For 1986 they were 4-door sedans only, and in black. Blackout trim was optional on both these cars. In 1987, the 3-door became available in RX trim and the sedan was eliminated.

In 1985 there was also the "Turbo Traction" sedan, same as the '86 RX but in different colors; and the "Turbo Traction RX", as mentioned in one of the sales brochures. I have no idea what this is/was.

I hope this helps, but I wouldn't swear to any of it. If there's something wrong here please correct it--thanks.

Guest McBrat

the 85 RX sedans could be any color. I saw a silver one at a junkyard once, and I think the one Richie is parting out is no white... (lt. blue maybe).

I'm guessing the TurboTRaction RX would be with the Automatic Tranny, as the ea81T's were called turbo traction because of the engine/auto tranny combo...

that's all I can add...

Guest UltimateRX

Well, everyone is a little correct, but not completely, and I'll probably miss something too. But, the first Gen 2 RXs were produced in 1985, they were all 4drs and available in many colors (the all white color scheme didn't come in till 87). The first 3dr RX was in 87 although there were some 86 3drs (first year of production) that had the correct VIN to be called a RX, but did not have any decal calling it a RX (I had one of those cars). The 4dr RX did not end in 87 but continued till 88. In 89 the RX 3dr started out with an all white color scheme but about half way through the year it turned to an all black color scheme. The 90 3dr RS Turbo was also all black, but was not really the same as a RX. The first car that I know of the Subaru built that had the RX name tag was built in the mid 70's and available only in Japan. There was a Gen 1 version used by rally teams that was based upon the EA71 and EA81 series cars. Hope this helps to clear things up. When my web page ever gets back up, I'll try to pull together a page on RXs.

Guest OH Noah

Were the RX sedans EVER included in the all white/black color schemes, or was that just for the 3-door versions??

I once saw a charcoal silver RX sedan that appeared to be '87 or newer (I think it had the newer style grill).

Guest Wagon Wagon

Dennis has an 85 RX sedan that's all black. All the trim and everything is blacked out, and the interior is also totally black.

Guest WagonsOnly

There's a flyer in the ads section of ultimatesubaru.org for an '85 "Leone RX II" sedan in white, but that's JDM. Is that the "gen II" RX--ie EA82 cars are what you call generation 2? Or is a 3-door Gen 2? Or '87 or later? I'm completely lost.

Guest slagathor1

For what it's worth, a few months ago on Ebay I saw an 89' RX hatch..

Man this car was sweet looking..It was all black & even still had the original rims on it, the ones with the "checkerboard square" in the middle..It had a little over 100,000 miles on it & was in very nice condition!!

At auction end, it only sold for I think around $1500..

Why didn't I buy it??.Well it was in Santa Monica California & i'm in Illinois, just a tad far for me to be bringing a car home..Oh well, better luck next time..I hope the new owner is enjoying it as much as I would have.

Tony in S. Illinois

89' DL retired

92' Loyale 4WD