Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
carfreak85

Quattro San lives! (Updated as of 11/2/2004)

I searched for the catalogue but it is nowhere to be found, must have been lost during our two moves over the last few years :(

I'll see if I can get hold of one in Japan though.

Well... That's So Sad.

Back on Topic, Could Anyone re-Upload the Missing Pics of this Thread?

and Write about what Happened to "Quattro San"?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Quattro-san is currently in storage at Western Washington University. He is not in running condition. Further, it would take some REAL doing to get him back to running condition. His engine, an EA-81, was used by WWU as the test platform to develop the timing belt system for the EJ motors. I'm not sure as to the extent of the issues that prevent it from running, but its at STRANGE motor. It is quite likely the only one of its kind. I've got a friend up at WWU. I'll see about getting him to take some pics.

...It is quite likely the only one of its kind. I've got a friend up at WWU. I'll see about getting him to take some pics.

Great, Thank You!

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Dear lord there is a lot of misinformation about this car...

Quattro San is alive and well, sleeping as it has for many years.

Its engine is NOT the first EA81T. It was a magazine project car, Road and Track or Motor Trend, IIRC. I'll see if I scanned the article and reload it.

I have pictures of the DOHC test engine that I will post in time, see above.

The car and engine are two independent sources, and I'm pretty sure they never met each other long enough to be documented for the outside world...

As for the EA81D, there was never any official diesel engine, just a very poorly running test engine using a modified EA81.

Thanks for those pics, especially the EA81 DOHC ones :)

If you are bored please take off the valve covers and take more pics, I'm curious what valve train they used (rockers or direct followers).

those heads don't look like there is room for rockers.

My question is on the engine currently in Quatrosan. What are the steel spacers between the manifold and block for?

Current pics of Quatro-San can be found here. And, by "current", I mean taken this week.

Here's a taste...

DSC04062.jpg

How did you find her? I didn't know you knew your way around WWU.

For those wondering, access to the car isn't restricted or anything, but you will definatly get some starange looks if you get caught wandering the Engineering building asking to see a battered old Subaru...

Those spacers? Don't worry about those, they only provide clearence for SB chevy roller-rockers, nothing to worry about...

Edited by carfreak85

Thank you So Much for Posting those Pictures.

...you will definatly get some starange looks if you get caught wandering the Engineering building asking to see a battered old Subaru...

Definitely the Same Occurs in my Country... I Know that Feelin' ...

How did you find her? I didn't know you knew your way around WWU.

For those wondering, access to the car isn't restricted or anything, but you will definatly get some starange looks if you get caught wandering the Engineering building asking to see a battered old Subaru...

Strange looks don't bother me! I wanna see it!

All that talk about that engine being a test for the EJ timing belt setup.:lol:

Looks more like an EA82 2 belt arrangement to me. But the belt IS drivng the waterpump.

When I first saw the car, I thought it was odd. Front spoiler and rag top...so did a little research and found this forum. Does have an interesting history.

Hope someone here ends up with it! :headbang:

Really sad to see it sold, I had been told in the past that it couldn't be sold because it was university property. It looks like there are many parts missing (rear seats, etc.) but the big parts are there.

That being said, I'd be willing to help anyone who buys it with history, parts identification or contact with University staff who know its history.

I don't think I'll go after this car though, I've learned how much work goes into a car in as poor condition as this...