Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Part #'s for trans filter kit

Guest Legacy777

I don't know where the original post is or who was asking, but here is the Subaru part #'s for the Trans filter kit, and trans pan gasket

Trans Filter Kit # 21099AA091

Trans Pan Gasket # 21397AA040

Guest Dale McGarry

Josh

Thanks for the part numbers. I believe those numbers are for the internal filter. My original post was about the external filter (looks like the fuel filter) in the cooler lines . Here is what my research has turned up so far. From Liberty Subaru, I found out that the filter comes in a kit or can be purchased separately. They told me that if I had a filter already it never needs to be replaced. That just does not make sense to me. What is the point of putting the filter in then? Anyone care to comment about that I would be interested to know why. Finally, I do intend to change my filter and here is the part number (31099AA031) for anyone else that is interested.

Dale

91 Legacy L Sedan

Guest Legacy777

Hey Dale,

No that part number is for the external kit. On the earlier legacies there is no internal filter, just a POS screen and magnet. That is why the external kit was added. I believe they revamped the newer ones with a filter. Not positive, but they did do away with the external filter. I can see them saying you do not need to replace the external one. Mine had about 140k miles on it. I decided to change it. It was like $20 for the kit. You can not buy just the filter, you have to buy the whole kit, which comes with brackets, hoses, and all that good ****. If you have the kit on there now, and you have high mileage, and are changing fluid and all that stuff too. I would just go and buy the kit and replace the external one you have on there. If you do not have the external one on there now, I don't know if I'd bother buying the kit to put it on. Because the tranny may have an internal one. That I am not sure about. If it does not have a "filter" and just a screen, I would buy the external filter kit.

The other number I posted there is for the tranny pan gasket. You'll need that too if you change the internal filter or drop the pan.

Any questions, just holler.

Guest remarcable

The place where I took my car to have the tranny flushed put in a new filter (I have the 4EAT) and it cost me $40. I have no more specifics.