Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru STI 555 VERSION 2 engine in a brat?

Well I've been kind of stalling on putting a more powerful engine in my 79 brat. It just runs fine as is it. But I was looking on ebay for subaru motors and came across a nice STI 555 Version 2 engine. About 275 hp would be nice (the second and third digit on that number is already more than the stock horse power of my brat), and if it won't fit in there I'll just put it in my 87 GL. Thats of course if I want to buy this engine (more like if I can afford this engine icon10.gif).

Heres the ebay link. I think its a nice engine a bit pricey for me. But hell if I can't pay my rent I can always live in my car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=7929208978&rd=1

Very interesting, the engine shown is out of a 95 or 96 WRX STi, but the car that they show is at least a 97 or newer GC8. The horse power is correct for that engine. If I remember correctly, there was a special 555 model sold, in 96, so it might be the correct engine for that, but it is the same engine as any other 95 or 96 JDM WRX STi engine. That price is a little high for just the engine. Archemitis, I appreciate your enthuiasm, but if that engine doesn't have the right ECU or a programable ECU, wiring it in 5 hours wouldn't do you any good. I have done one of these conversion, and stating 5 hours to do the wiring is pretty sporty, unless you have done many of these. But in review the data for my conversion, I found that you'll need to have the wiring diagram for both car to do it correctly.

i have done a few efi swaps, and i think 5 hours would be fine, considering, i just hook up the wires i need and bundle the rest and hide it somewhere(like the floorboard:lol: ). but without a computer, yes all the wiring in the world wont help.

if i had the cash, i would be looking at badass motors like this one, but since im extra cheap/poor, i have only had the privelidge, of mpfi ea82s. and resently er27!

Here's the thing that gets me, these guys pay between $700 to $1000 for these engines in Japan, have them shipped over by the container load to lower shipping cost per engine, then try to sell them fo over twice what they paid for them. I'm trying to get in with one of these guys who really doesn't like shipping Subaru engine over here because that don't sell as well as the Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. If I can, I'm trying to get to be able to pick them up for what he would pay for them, then pay for the shipping (whatever portion of the container the engine takes up). This should lower the price on these engine considerably. The bad news is that I'm not going to ship any engine I get, it will be sold locally.

alright, im close to local, kind of, i would come pick one up if i ever get the cash and you could get it.
Well, I'm not sure about that, I'd like you to get a few more years of driving under your belt before I sell something like this to you. Sorry, but at age 17, it is my feeling that you are not ready for this.