Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check out my new Hatch!!! Traded off the XT6

Well, I did it! Traded off the XT6 monster for a little monster Hatchback. Check out the picture: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2519&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

It is an awsome "little" car. It has an 8" lift, nissan transfer case, webber carb, custom bumpers, 30" swampers, and so on..... This is the car that Cory, the previous owner, had at WCSS6 for those of you who were there. He fell in love with my XT6 monster at the show and when he caught wind I was looking for a hatch, he was more than happy to trade.

I am very excited about the car, but I'm a feeling a little crazy for tearing this thing limb from limb when so much has already been done to it. For those of you who don't know my intentions, I want to either put solid axles under this thing like I did to the XT6 or build a custom long travel suspension for it.

All this thing needs is lower gears, and I happen to have R180 diffs with 4.37 gears in them that would swap right in.

I guess I have about two weeks to decide what to do. After that I had better transfer the title into my name and stick with it. Until then, I pose this question; anyone out there want this awesome hatch? I would want a nearly perfect stock one and some cash in trade for it.

This thing is in great shape, Cory is a very detail oriented guy and this car is truley awesome.

Let me know what you think guys!

Mike

I don't know Eric, if I go through the trouble of putting the solid axle in the rear I'd just do it to the front as well. I really did enjoy the flex of the solid axles on the XT6. So Ken is really liking his conversion??? What are Ken's plans now, is he going to go with a Toyota Rear Axle so he can get a locker?? What are your plans for your Hatch, especially now that you have a dent in it??

Mike

I was wondering when/if you where going to post this. I figured with this one you would just keep it secret until you unvealed it after you tweaked it to your new specs.......:brow:

I also didn't realize that it was a built hatch you traded it for. I thought you traded it for a virgin Hatch. Makes more sense now......

Anyways, I'm interested in buying it depending on price of course. Would be a lot easier for me to buy a built one but not as fun...... I think I'm going to have to give you a call tonight so I can come check out.:banana:

So Ken is really liking his conversion??? What are Ken's plans now, is he going to go with a Toyota Rear Axle so he can get a locker?? What are your plans for your Hatch, especially now that you have a dent in it??

Mike

Ken loves his conversion. He moved the front wheels 2 and 1/4 inches forward so has 0 problems turning the 31s lock to lock. He just welded the Nissan rear and got spacers for the wheels to bring them par with the fronts.

My hatch. . ?

It did everything all the huge ones at WCSS6 did, made it thru the mud pit 3 times and drove back 250 mile to Seattle without breaking. . . It's gone everywhere I've tried to point it. Remember, it's my daily driver, it's as extreme as it's gonna get while I own it.

Wait, that was my last one. LOL This one has been thru the paces the last couple of weekends and didn't bat an eye. (the diff was Jared's before me, went to and from Arizona and has been my daily driver/weekend locker for over a year) Really though, this one has the exact set up as the last one, just an inch more in the front and the modified A bar. That and 73k less miles on it. :P

I bet he is going to sell it ;)

Might trade it for a young Legacy wagon with a 5spd and AWD. . .

Hey nice looking Hatch.

Now if you start with a virgin car or mutate that one, either way I vote for the custom long travel front and rear indy suspensions. It might perform better than solid axles in some situations or might not. It might break or not articulate as well, but then who knows...you haven't built it yet. I've been wanting to experiment with this myself but can't right now and probably never will. So I dare you... Hah! I Bet you can't build a trail tough independant suspension Soob that will climb waterfalls without breaking axles, that will flex and crawl it's way over the gnarliest stuff and is small and light and capable enough to get up trails passable only to full-on rock buggies or maybe highly modded expensive rigs with four times the horsepower! But your Subaru will do it and traditionalists with wonder what the heck is that Subaru looking thing and what helicopter airlifted it to this insane location? So I dare you. Hope that helps. And whatever you decide to do, be creative, be sick. Let the sparks fly!

Might trade it for a young Legacy wagon with a 5spd and AWD. . .
What are you saying Eric???? Wanna trade your newer subie for this monster hatch???? That might be a cool project, stuff a dual range in a newer subaru with the EJ motor using the adapter that John, Garner, and I came up with. Then add the transfer case and Toyota Axles....... Hmmmmmm, got me thinkin' Eric.

Mike

Hmmmm. New goal, get my hands on a 95 impreza 2.2L wagon and make it BIG!!!!!!!! Must sell hatch, must sell hatch, must sell hatch.......

Mike

I've been wanting one since I first saw this years ago. There's a dream soob thread going on somewhere, here's mine. This color scheme would do too.

How about an insurance totalled car and rebuild it into a monster? Seems like I heard somewhere that Oregon is much easier to do this than Washington? But then I've heard something about WA being easier now than it used to be? Any rebuild experts out there?

If you decide to sell off this one, I know where there is a white mid/late 80's virgin hatch waiting for some kind of lift / conversion. Good body, wont pass emissions, but thats not an issue down there... slap a weber on it, lift it and enjoy!

The guy wants $500 and it comes with a pushbar which you could either modify or sell to recover some of the cost of the car.

Located in Milwaukee OR 97222 (I am willing to lead you to the car if you want to see it someday)

If you decide to sell off this one, I know where there is a white mid/late 80's virgin hatch waiting for some kind of lift / conversion. Good body, wont pass emissions, but thats not an issue down there... slap a weber on it, lift it and enjoy!

The guy wants $500 and it comes with a pushbar which you could either modify or sell to recover some of the cost of the car.

Located in Milwaukee OR 97222 (I am willing to lead you to the car if you want to see it someday)

Yes, I would be interested if I am able to sell this one before that one disappears. I'd hate to tear this one apart, it's such a nice rig already.

Mike

Can't wait to help you design the new suspension. (if you where going to do what I hope you do.....) Okay, so I can wait, but I hope you include me in the process..... Sent you a couple PM's with a bunch of suspension info for the possible new design. Either way you go it should be cool......