Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS light comes on at highway speeds

I have a '98 Legacy L Wagon with EJ22 and AT. For the last month or so when I get on the highway and go above 65 MPH. The ABS on the dash comes on a stays on for the rest of the ride. Then when I shut it off and re-start it it goes off and stays off untill a couple weeks later where it will do it again. It does not do it every time I go over 65 but maybe once ever four times I do?? The rear pads were replaced about two days agao but it was doing it previous to this. I have bleed and replaced teh brake fluid the way End Wrench mag. stated about 8,000 miles ago and there were no problems right after that?

That link did not work for me can you send it to me via e-mail?

More then likely, the diagnostic procedure for your 98 is the same as the 02 WRX.

You can check out this scan for how to pull the codes from the abs computer.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/2002_WRX_FSM/scans/2002_wrx_abs_diag.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Would the fact that it resets everytime I shut the car off and turn it back on then only come on if I go over 65 MPH for more than 5 min. point to a speed sensor? Anyone else come across this? I know it did this one other time a LONG time ago when we had like foot of snow and I was driving through it!

Do the diagnostics, but it may well be a wheel sensor causing the MIL to illuminate.

Could just be a mis-adjusted gap or it may be dirty (covered with metal or rust particals. I had a bearing/dragging brake problem that heated up the hub and tone ring/sensor and caused an ABS code. Fixing the heat problem and wire brushing the rust off the tone ring corrected the ABS situation.

Good luck

How do I get to the sensors and there pick-ups take the rotors off?

Do the diagnostics, but it may well be a wheel sensor causing the MIL to illuminate.

Could just be a mis-adjusted gap or it may be dirty (covered with metal or rust particals. I had a bearing/dragging brake problem that heated up the hub and tone ring/sensor and caused an ABS code. Fixing the heat problem and wire brushing the rust off the tone ring corrected the ABS situation.

Good luck

When I replaced the wheel bearing, everything was exposed because the hub was off. It was easy.

As for the other sensors and tone rings, as I recall, even with the rotors off, there is just a little gap to get a brush (stainless tooth brush size) in and do a few teeth of the tone wheel at a time.

Hopefuly, someone else will chime in that's done this more recently and tell what the gap between the tone ring and sensor for your modle year should be and the best way to reach it. It's a bitch being over 40 and having CRS.

Can't hurt to pull off the wheel and see what you can see. Sorry I can't tell you more.