Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much, new brake pads on....

Did they say if that's front and rear? Brake pads themselves come in a variety of brands and materials and grades. Do a search on this board and you can read about the experiences/recommendations of the forum members.

You don't give a lot of info about the quote you were given but it sounds to me like that would be a standard brake pad on front and back and maybe some machining of the rotors. $250 doesn't sound incredibly high, but call around and get some more quotes if you feel you're not getting your money's worth. Places like Pep Boys have brake specials all the time.

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, brake pad replacement is fairly easy.Personally, when it comes to safety-related things like brakes, i just feel more comfortable having a professional do it.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Ok, here's the deal, I called back the Dealer and he said for pads and to turn the rotors is $250 for front and $250 for the rear and the check the brake lines. So, plan B. I called Just Brakes here in Denver and they said the can put new pads and turn rotors on front and rear, and check lines for $95. He said they use Centrix (sp?) brake pads.

I have no experience with them, sorry.

I know a lot of people knock large chain auto service centers like Midas, Jiffy Lube, et al, but I have had good experiences with Midas here in SLC. No discernible difference from the OEM brake pads, and they have given me better information and service than some of my dealer experiences here. I don't advocate skimping on things like tires and brakes, but I just don't see what the dealers do better that justifies their high prices on turning a rotor. It's just not that hard to do. Again, my $.02.

Steve

I've heard many things about "Just Brakes" ... all bad. Basically, the $99 deal is to get you in. Then, they call you and tell you that your calipers are all screwed up, your rotors are completely warped, and you need new brake lines and what not. "This car is just not safe to drive as it is. You need at least $800 worth of work before this thing can even be considered safe."

http://www.ripoffreport.com

Search "Just Brakes"

I did my front brakes two weekends back. My front rotors were warped and I knew that from the pulsing coming back through the pedal. Went to Autozone and purchased new rotors for $34.99 each and pads for 27.99. With tax it was just over $103 out the door. Time to do both sides was about 1 hour and 15 minutes using simple hand tools and a big C clamp to press the pistons back into the calipers.

If you decide to do the job yourself you need to do three additional things. First with the wheels off and the brakes still on the car have someone step on the brake pedal hard and inspect the brake lines coming from the calipers. Make sure that they do not bulge from the pressure inside the line. If they do bulge, replace the brake line. Second, after completing the brake job and before moving the car, step on the brake pedal several times. The first time or two the pedal will bottom out. Repeat pumping the brake pedal until the pedal does not bottom out. Third, try the brakes once or twice in your driveway and make certain that they are working properly before driving down the street.

Steve