Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Synthetic Motor Oil & Extended Drain Intervals

Guest subyroo

SmashPDX is there anyway you can get me a pic of the Amsoil bypass filter or the URL for me to look at it myself??

Re the Truck bypass filter likethe one I posted, I have seen only one on a Semi-Trailer out here and it took 12 toilet rolls.

While we are the oil & associated subjects have you or anybody else heard of or used Morey's Oil Addative and Upper cylinder Lubricant. If so how did you find product as far as doing the job etc.

Guest SmashPDX

Peter:

www.amsoil.com/products/bf.html

Looks to me like they stick an adapter on the spot where the oil filter usually goes so that you can install/maintain the bypass filter and the standard oil filter in the same physical space.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of whatever Trask does, as he mentioned an issue with mounting bracket placement.

Looking at this thing, I'm sure that it would probably void the warranty on the car... or at least convince any dealer that the engine had been 'modified.' But I don't have a warranty any more so I donna care :):):)

Anybody out here have experience with Redline??? Their recommended drain interval is longer than Amsoil's but I don't see where they sell any special filters.

Trask - do you use just the bypass filter canister or that *and* one of the standard Amsoil filters with that setup?

Guest subyroo

Russ:

I checked out that URL and from the pic's over there, it would appear to me that the Amsoil and the Frantz Filter work in exactly the same way, the only difference's would be in the cost and the 1/10 micron removal. I have no re-collection of the Frantz micron removal.

Goddamn Russ! I posted this thread and then sent me ol' mate GOOGLE out to look for Frantz Oil filters and he came back with this URL: http://www.wefilterit.com/frantz.htm and low and behold they claim 1/10 micron removal too.

Amsoil Bypass $ ??????

Frantz Bypass Prices:

Single Unit $165

Six or More Units $135

8 Foot Hose Incl.

*** moderator edit: fixed URL ***

You need a dual mounted system for our cars unless you want to modify the engine itself. The dual system can be removed with out too much difficulty and the car returned to stock. It has an adapter with an outlet and inlet that threads into where the existing oil filter is. The outlet hose leads to the dual mounting bracket with the Bypass filter and new oil filter (dual filters) the Bypass filter is about 6-7 times the size of the stock filter and the full flow filter is about 4-5 times the size of the stock filter. I will take comparison pictures as well.

Guest SmashPDX

I have to say I like the elegance of the Amsoil setup. Put the stopper on the existing oil filter screwon point and off you go. The other one looks a little bit different, and there isn't quite as much detail so I can't really examine it.

What I find interesting is that the Frantz setup is local (to me, at least). I could drive down to their building in 1/2 an hour. It might be worth a post to the guys on the '80s side of the board to see if anyone has familiarity with it-- there are a ton of Subies out here and the Hatch Patrol is here in Oregon. If anyone would have some insight on it they would.

Got the bracket done tonight, damn batteries in the digital camera were dead, will have to take pictures tomorrow. Wasn't too hard, just needed a bench vise, hammer, and hack saw. Should have everything done tommorrow.

WT