Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve noise-cure?

Guest StephenHein

Guest StephenHein

Prior to my buying it, a Japanese "low milage" engine was put in my '86 Brat. Engine runs well with good oil pressure, power etc. My only problem with it is that there is more valve tappet noise than I would like. Is there any adjustments available? Other solutions?

I am new to Subaru's. Thanks,

Stephen

'86 Brat

Guest jeepbrat

I am experiencing the same thing on both my current EA82 cars. I have rebuilt an oil pump and tried different oils, filters , and additives with nominal success. A guy named Cameron on this board has details on how to fix this once and for all. I am going to try it on the turbo wagon i am getting my wife. Hope to never hear a lifter tick again!

Guest Skip

Stephen, this a very common problem. There are quite a few posts about it.

Your Brat probably has hydraulic lifters and no adj.ness.

Cameron's fix is good but requires a lot of work.

Try changing oil to Castrol 20w/50 GTX plus a half can of Mr Marvel Mystery Oil and a Purolater filter. Takes about a week to work it's magic but many have had "joy" with this method.

If you look a few pages deep in this board you will see other articles on valve noise.

HTH

Skip

Guest cameron

My fix is for EA82 only. I have never seen a Jap spec EA81 with hydraulic lifters. You would have to split the block to get to them anyway. The "low milage" engines from Japan suffer from one thing in particular. Oil sludge. The Japs know they have to get rid of their motors and don't change the oil in them. What ever the miles were on it, was probably how long the oil has been in it. I bet the sump plug still looks new.

Guest Itzik93

Use the 44K directly to your engine (not thrue the Gas Tank !).

Using the 44K directly to the engine will remove hard carbon from the intake valves and the combustion chamber.

The 1st step should be small drops to the instake while the engine rev's at 3000-4000 rpm.

The 2nd step should be a BIG amount of 44K and CHOKING the engine.

The 3rd step will be waiting 15 minutes while the 44K removes hard carbon from all the instake valves and combustion chamber.

The 4th step will be turning the engine on (the 1st try would be hard).

Use STP engine flush (follow the directions on the label) and then Replace the Engine Oil + Filter.

After that your problem should be solved.

Izik.

Guest StephenHein

Thank all of you for your responses. I can now understand the cause of the problem and some possible cures. I will give them a go!

Stephen

'86 Brat

Guest thealleyboy

Camerons method is the only "sure bet", IMO.

I would be very careful running Marvels for any legnth of time. And based upon some bad real-life experiences, I would not use motor flush at all. I am not dissing anyone who has had success using these products, but I sure wouldn't make a habit of it.

Engines are desinged to run on oil, and anything other than good clean oil will cause wear. There are safer ways to get rid of dirt and sludge. My guess is that the benefit gained is far less than the long-term damage caused by these products.

Jus my opinion...

Good Luck, John

Guest ShawnW

There were quite a few EA81's made with manual adjust valves so check your engine out. Most of the ones with no adjust valves (hyd) are going to have chrome colored stickers on them that say DO NOT ADJUST, in english and Japanese :)

Guest ProjectRudy

EA81's with Hydraulic lifters do exist, and you don't have to split the case to get at them. They have a wilder cam than standard, so the cup that hold the lifters in is not there. If you pull the rockers and push ods out, tip the engine on it's side, you will hear them fall into the sump!! Then it is just a matter of pulling the sump off, and cleaning the lifters in fuel. I have pics of both solid and hydraulic lifters, I scan them in and post them soon.

Guest StephenHein

I think I will use one of the "gentle" cleaners first, and then depending on results, go further. Given the fact that it is probably caused by shelac buildup, some persistant cleaning will probably work. It is interesting that the EA81 engine was built with both hydraulic and solid lifters.

I looked at the earlier thread about valves and the discussion there was also helpful.

Stephen

'86 Brat

Guest Turbone

If you do remove the Hyd Lifters and clean them, make sure they are "primed" before reinstalling. Just put them in oil and push on the cupped end.

Rob