Ultimate Subaru Message Board

belt help needed 84 turbo (ea81), all ea81t owners pls read

Guest ShawnW

Ok......

I got a Turbo brat but it didnt make it home. The power steering pump seized from not being used but being on the belt.

Mick and I removed the power steering pump to eliminate the problem but now I dont know what length of belt to use. I have taken rope and wrapped it around for an estimate.

The brat is 78 miles from home on the side of the road.

This is kindof bad......if anybody can help me by removing their power steering pump on a motor they have laying around, and making a run to the parts store with what they think would fit for a belt, that would be FANTASTIC. Ill send ya enough for 2 cases of beer or something.

Im stickying this. Im abusing my administrator privilages by doing so but I feel I have put in hundreds of hours to the board and I can do this, just this once. I want to be able to go back to the brat with a belt of reasonable certainty to fit and make it home. It just needs to make it this short trip and then I am parting it out for my 83 turbo wagon project. I just need to get the motor home in sound condition to be an organ donor.

email me if you have any ideas. watsonshawn@hotmail.com

if you want me to call you I will email me phone number/vice versa.

Thanks THANKS THANKS!!!!!!!!

It has AIR, power steering, no power steering pump, the AC is on the inside and the alternator is on the outside.

It has a 4" lift kit so I have some sway for extra length in belt.

Guest GeneralDisorder

ok - so you want to know the length of the power steering belt on an EA81. Are the belts from the turbo and non-turbo different? I have a regular EA81 with PS - I could measure for you - I'm off tommarow, so I could hit the parts store and get a part number for ya. Hope I can help.

GD

I dont think they are the same, and in this case I need the belt without power steering.

Basically the whole drive belt, but if you didnt have power steering on the motor.

Guest GeneralDisorder

Ok - I just looked - I have three belts total. One driving the power steering, another driving the A/C, and the third driving the alternator and water pump. Of course.... that means that you wouldn't need ANY belt on my car, and it should drive fine (no PS of course, but other than that...). Yeah - they must be different. Sorry I can't help. :(

GD

Shawn, on my wagon (I know, different year and different model) there is a metal plate attached to the top of the passenger side strut tower. It lists the SOA part numbers for all the belts of my car. Perhaps your Brat has a similar plate. That should help cross reference the proper belt for your car. Good luck.

Guest carfreak85

i have a 1984 turbo wagon with 2 belts just like yours. it needs new belts, so i got the ones listed under 84 gl turbo. i dont know which is which, but one is 3' 2.5'' long and the other is almost 3' 8.25'', more like 8.19-21". hope that helps man!!!

Guest subyguy

i know this probably wont help much but a good pair of panty hose can be used as a belt for a short distance. one of the wrc rally drivers used his shoe laces in the gb rally i think to get him back to service when there belt went snap. can you take the pump apart so that its just a pully? maybe with a bfh. wish i had a fix for you:rolleyes:

Shawn, on my wagon (I know, different year and different model) there is a metal plate attached to the top of the passenger side strut tower. It lists the SOA part numbers for all the belts of my car. Perhaps your Brat has a similar plate. That should help cross reference the proper belt for your car. Good luck.

I just looked at all four cars in our driveway. Only my wagon has that metal plate. Darn, I thought all of the Subarus had that identifying plate. Sorry

Guest GlCraigGT

If I remember right the 83-84 turbo's used the same power stearing pump as the EA82 cars. Dose anyone have a spare pump to loan to Shawn? Changing the pump might be easier then playing the belt game.

Guest OH Noah

You can buy temporary belts that are made out of removable links that fit together. These can be sized to whatever you need right there on site. This application is EXACTLY what they're best for, as you only need a temporary belt.

As for where to get one, I don't think car-part places usually have them. Try places that sell garden tractors, farm equipment, etc.

Otherwise, I think you were on track with the rope. I just pulled the A/C from my '85 GL-10 a few months ago, and had to get non-standard belts for it. I put the original belt in place, took up the slack in a convienient spot, and used a tape measure (cloth type worked well) to measure around the belt. I can't remember if I had to get one .5" larger or smaller than my measurement, but you can figure that out by measuring any belt and looking at the number on it. The number has its size in inches built in (like xxx27500 = 27.5" or something).

Guest WAWalker

Your in luck. I just took the power steering pump off my "84 turbo wagon that has A/C. You were smart to ask this question. I wraped a tape measure around the pullys and still got the wrong size belt. 4th time was a charm. Any way............You need Gates part # 9435. Size of belt is 1/2" x 43-7/8".

thanks WAWalker. we were trying all sorts of options last night. I had 4 spare belts with me. 2 were too short. one was just a bit too long, and one was way too long...

Not much open late on Sunday night...

Shawn, be sure to have the alt bolt with you :)

Guest WAWalker

Like I said it took me 4 trys to get the right one. I ordered one by application, A/C without PS, way to short. Measured with tape still to short, geussed at how much longer it needed to be and that one worked but maxed out the adjuster. So back to the store I went & finally got the right one.

For future refrence. The lenght of the belt is measured around the outside of the belt, not the inside were it runs in the pully. So when you wrap somthing around the pullys to get a measurement it will be to short.

Guest OH Noah

Yeah, that's why I said above to put the belt on, and measure around it.

Isn't this board great that someone can ask a question like this, and get the exact answer they're looking for! And in a timely fashion as well!

I'm impressed.

You guys are fantastic. I dont have web access at work but i ran home for lunch today. Mick has been emailing me with information from this post.

I get off work at 7 central time tonight and I am running over to the Brat to give this a try. A good assortment of tools is packed in my 87 Brat and with a little luck she will finish her last voyage. Ill post when I get back tonight with an update, and WAWalker I owe you one!!!

THANKS!!!!!

Guest kevinsUBARU

Just so everyone knows, Gates has a GREAT web site that lists part numbers for everything on your Subaru that they makes stuff for. The page is www.gates.com

I didnt see the part# Walker refered to. Prehaps they changed the #? Heres what was listed under drive belts:

W.P. & Alt.; W/O Turbo

High Capacity V-Belt

_

W.P., Alt., A.C. & P.S.; W/Turbo

High Capacity V-Belt

_

W.P., A.C. & P.S.; W/Turbo

High Capacity V-Belt

_

P.S.; W/O Turbo

High Capacity V-Belt

_

A.C.; W/O Turbo

High Capacity V-Belt

_

They have a Power Steering without turbo listed, but no PS with turbo......

Anyhow, I really dont know what Im talking about.

Remember, www.gates.com

Kevin

_

Well a big thanks to everybody.

It is home, in my garage.

It was ticking when I pulled into the garage and there was a smell but I think it might just be low on oil. I do not feel like going out in the cold to check and its not going to bother me enough till tomorrow to care. Froze my butt off driving the 77 miles home as the brat doesnt have a heater and its not warm out here in Iowa.

See "Brat Trade" post for the whole fiasco.