Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good advice needed! I've been looking into buying a Subaru for about a year now, but I want to make sure I find the right one. At first, I thought I would end up with an Impreza WRX. Eventually, I was planning to upgrade the turbo, exhaust system, some engine internals, short throw shifter, possibly suspension, intercooler, etc. Now I'm thinking, if I'm going to replace half the car why not start out with the cheapest/base level model. I began to look into the Impreza RS 2.5 SOHC. I understand an STi comes with a 2.5 DOHC, and I see the amazing difference in hp and boost. With all the upgrades, is it worth an engine swap for a DOHC??? Will the hp/boost be worth it? Are there any other details about the two models that would help me make my decision?

Somebody help out a poor lil white girl...:burnout:

Thanks!!!

Good advice needed! I've been looking into buying a Subaru for about a year now, but I want to make sure I find the right one. At first, I thought I would end up with an Impreza WRX. Eventually, I was planning to upgrade the turbo, exhaust system, some engine internals, short throw shifter, possibly suspension, intercooler, etc. Now I'm thinking, if I'm going to replace half the car why not start out with the cheapest/base level model. I began to look into the Impreza RS 2.5 SOHC. I understand an STi comes with a 2.5 DOHC, and I see the amazing difference in hp and boost. With all the upgrades, is it worth an engine swap for a DOHC??? Will the hp/boost be worth it? Are there any other details about the two models that would help me make my decision?

Somebody help out a poor lil white girl...:burnout:

Thanks!!!

Hey HoneyDutchess -

good plan on saving bucks, but here's a thought: Forester XT? it's a 2.5 compared to the 2.0 in the WRX, more cargo room, and more of a sleeper (though not really), and was apparently detuned so it wouldn't romp the WRX out of the box - so upgrades will easily have you stomping WRX's.

by the way - what part of Maryland? I'm southwest of Baltimore myself. I've got a rebuilt engine from CCR on the way that should arrive in about a week or so. PM me if you want. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help rigfennid! I felt pretty dumb, I completely forget about a Forester, or any other Subaru for that matter. So, you stirred up all kinds of other questions I have to ask you now.

Keep in mind, my goals are to save money and do most of the work myself. Would it be cheaper to stick with the base level Impreza and just swap engines? or buy the car for the engine(Forester)? How much could I find a 2.5 DOHC anyway? Should I buy the 2.5 block and build it myself? I checked out the stats on the Forester XT and I like it. But, I have a lot of custom body work in store for my car eventually. I fell in love with the style of the Impreza, and all I can do with its gorgeous lil body. I still like the Forester, but I havent really seen whats available for body work. If you know of any performance Subaru sites that I may not know of, you should let me know. One more question. My brother recently told me that 2005 Subaru's have a new/improved AWD system. Does he know something I dont???

Wow thats a lot of questions, sorry. I hope that all made sense. :drunk:

I live in Elkton, this lil pos in the most north-eastern part of MD. You lived in AZ? and came back to MD? How come? I'm getting ready for college in Cali and I couldnt be happier about getting as far away as possible. Hopefully this will be my last cold winter EVER!

Hey honey!

I don't think there's been any real changes to the AWD in the Subaru lineup - rear LSD's have been standard for years, but in the front is only WRX/STi territory (i think)

The Forester XT is not the cheapest way to go, and for body mods, forget it - all custom work there for you = big $$

Here's what I'd go for:

1. find a 2.5 RS with good body & interior

2. when ready, get a EJ20T (turbo 2.0) from CCR Inc. in Colorado - they are CRAZY helpful and would know all the parts you'd need to do a successful swap

3. Impreza body mods are plentiful and therefore less expensive

although, the Forester with custom body would be unique.... what's your price (and penchant) for individuality?

Forester XT motors are hard to find and big bucks (~$5000+ without turbo, etc.!!!)

As for AZ, it was too hot for me. I was SE of Phoenix in Chandler (~10miles south of Scottsdale) and I generate MASSIVE amounts of body heat. I'm moving to Colorado soon - I THRIVE in cold weather, and I need some real mountains to climb. Good luck in Cali & college!

Beware doing too much to the stock engine, unless you've got lots of cash to keep fixing what breaks. A 'warmed over' 2.0 turbo in an RS will be damn quick and still reliable. Check out www.nasioc.com for mods, etc. on Imprezas - that's what they're all about.

OH yeah - Elkton IS out there!!! :grin: