Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any and All help would be appreciated. I just bought a 92 SVX with 109k on it.

.... Paid way too much... thanks for asking !!

It has a few problems I've listed below... again, thanks for your patience:

1. I have read several posts and one Chilt** manual about that little (green?, yellow?...etc.) connector to allow the ECM to flash the engine fault codes. I can't find it. I found a black and yellow connector under the driver's side, kick panel. (vertical panel left and below the hood release). If these are the connectors, what do I connect them to. My wife gave me some ideas as to where to stick em' (she thinks I'm playing with this car too much). :banghead: Bottom line... I know there is a way to get the fault codes without a $350 reader, or paying $75 an hour to a shop. Can someone point me in the right direction, take me by the hand and peel my eyelids back?

2. An indicator on the instrument cluster "FWD" is illuminated. What the...? I also notice that the front wheels will slip on wet pavement. Do you think my transfer case is getting lazy? My guess is that my 4WD is approximately 2.5WD as it is.:-\

3. Any ideas as to where to find one of those In-Line Transmission filters? I thought these where after market ad-ons. Mine has the Subaru Logo on it... I think it's original. Probably time to change it.

Well, that's it for now. Any pictures of those connectors would be nice, but mainly want to know where to look. :)

Check out my site, under the notes & tips, engine related you'll find instructions on how to pull the engine codes, reset the ecu, etc.

The black connectors "may" be on the left side of the steering wheel. They moved them around on some of the model years.

The FWD light on means someone has inserted a fuse in the FWD fuse holder in the engine bay, which disables the AWD system. This could have been done to mask/hide binding in the transmission due to worn rear clutch packs, or old/burnt transmission fluid. Or possibly some other issue.

I'd suggest pulling the fuse out, drive the car and see if you notice any weird torque bind issues while doing sharp turns.

The transmission add-on filters are designed to really not be replaced. It's far cheaper to buy the entire retro-fit kit for like 20 bucks then it is to buy just the filter if you really want to replace the filter. A tranny cooler, and changing the transmission fluid regularly and possibly to synthetic will yield greater benefits then messing with that so called filter.

Also, you might want to check out the svx network if you already haven't

www.subaru-svx.net

Any and All help would be appreciated. I just bought a 92 SVX with 109k on it.

.... Paid way too much... thanks for asking !!

It has a few problems I've listed below... again, thanks for your patience:

1. I have read several posts and one Chilt** manual about that little (green?, yellow?...etc.) connector to allow the ECM to flash the engine fault codes. I can't find it. I found a black and yellow connector under the driver's side, kick panel. (vertical panel left and below the hood release). If these are the connectors, what do I connect them to. My wife gave me some ideas as to where to stick em' (she thinks I'm playing with this car too much). :banghead: Bottom line... I know there is a way to get the fault codes without a $350 reader, or paying $75 an hour to a shop. Can someone point me in the right direction, take me by the hand and peel my eyelids back?

2. An indicator on the instrument cluster "FWD" is illuminated. What the...? I also notice that the front wheels will slip on wet pavement. Do you think my transfer case is getting lazy? My guess is that my 4WD is approximately 2.5WD as it is.:-\

3. Any ideas as to where to find one of those In-Line Transmission filters? I thought these where after market ad-ons. Mine has the Subaru Logo on it... I think it's original. Probably time to change it.

Well, that's it for now. Any pictures of those connectors would be nice, but mainly want to know where to look. :)

There are a couple of small wires with flat metal prongs on the end of them in the area of the diag. plugs. They should be wrapped up in electrical tape. These are the ones you use to plug into the diag. port.

The Subaru tranny filter is a factory campaign item. Wouldn't hurt to replace it. I believe it is the same filter as used on the legacy 4EATs.

This and much more info can be found at www.subaru-svx.net/forum

There are a couple of small wires with flat metal prongs on the end of them in the area of the diag. plugs....

Thanks X35 Performance... good post...

I hope reporting my findings will help another SVX owner. They really made the SVX a bit odd. The connectors are behind the carpet covered vertical panel, left of the drivers left foot rest (fixed rubber mat) and under the interior fuse block. You must pull on the harnesses and a small black connector, small yellow connector and large black connector will end up dangling in front of you. They are all rectangular shaped with several wires. I had to pull mine out of the lower opening where the wires are routed under the left door sill.

Then, look for two blue 3/16 tube covered wires taped to the harness. pull at them, they will pop out. These have flat blade type connectors on the end of each. The schematic shows them connected together so either one will work for pulling fault codes. (you need both for erasing codes).

Now, with the ignition off, plug either of these flat blades into the small black connector socket with the Blue and White wire (C12 on the ECM). Turn the key to ON (don't go to start position). Just watch the "Check Engine" light for a while. You will catch on to a rhythm. Everything else you need to know is on Legacy777's site. :banana:

Thanks to Legacy777 and X35 Performance for some great wisdom.:grin: