Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newbie post - ea82 rebuild

Guest mjm

Hi everyone

I'm new around here, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting to know you all pretty quick! I've just pulled the ea82 outta my 86 gl for a rebuild and transplant. I'm mostly planning on just a refresher for the engine, but in my experience, that usually turns into a bit more... I've not even got it out of the back of the truck yet, but i plan on starting the tear-down this week. Can anyone offer some helpful hints? I notice that the manual calls for some sst's for the timing belt removal and such - any way around that?? Anyhow, I'll search the archives, just wanted to say hello! Any help is appreciated...

cheers

Matt

Welocome to the board Matt

Gad we could write a book on this but I'll start with

watch the intake manifold bolts, they like to snap like carrots.

Oil passageway 0 ring on the head is easy to miss

timimg belt sst, for holding the cam sproket when tensioning the belt - ? nah

flywheel holder for removeing crank bolt - impact works

cam timing is odd, one mark up, on down, use the middle of the three scribe lines on the flywheel.

Replace all seals includes "Mickey mouse " gasket on oil pump

H20 pump is a given

somebody else add some things

Guest Ratty2Subaru

I am currently in process of rebuilding my ea 81... the problem i ran into is using parts from different year of motors (81 hatch, 2 83 wagons) and i am trying to use mix-and-match heads+block... so far ok, but running into questionable compatibility issues... i bought a full gasket set for the engine, and I am planning to just lap the valves in (pro jobs are too expensive for a car i am just going to beat up) and then the carburators.. well, i am still afraid to see what awaits me!

good luck!

Austin

Guest RickOregon

Hi Mat,

Skip provided some major items. Also, you might want to replace clutch disc, pressure plate, release and pilot bearings, if it's a manual tranny. And install new vacuum and water hoses, especially any that run under the intake manifold. And, also replace the oil pan gasket while you've got the engine out... I've heard it's a real pain to do with the engine in the car. Oil pump should be replaced, too, if that hasn't been done for 100k miles or so.. I'd replace the PCV valve and clean out any tubing connected to that system. Also, remove the coolant drain plugs on the bottom of each head and clean them out... on mine one was plugged pretty bad, and it's a pain to try to clean them out for coolant flushing, when the engines in the vehicle. Skip's absolutely right about the intake manifold bolts.... use plenty of penetrant, patience and proceed with care to avoid stripping. I replaced the carbon steel bolts that I removed with new stainless steel bolts ordered online from mcmaster.com, coated with anti-seize from top to bottom before installation (per advice from this forum).... ahh... seems like there's a bunch of stuff I'm leaving out, but others can add more... or I'll update if I think of something else. It's a fun project, if you take your time. And you'll find the folks on this board can provide you with a lot of good advice and moral support. 8-) Take care, Rick

Hey, thanks alot for all your comments so far, guys! Keep 'em coming! It's a pleasure to find people willing to take the time to share things that they've learned the hard way! I'm off to the garage right now to get started. I notice that people seem to go through hell putting weber carbs on... that's kinda what I was planning to do. I really don't like the rats nest of vac lines under the air cleaner. Oh well, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, way down the road. Anyway, I'm off to get dirty, we'll be in touch...

Matt

86 gl wagon project

Guest RickOregon

Hey Matt,

Like I said, people here are very friendly and extremely helpful. That's been my experience, and that's why I come back to this forum.

You might want to take a few minutes to fill out your "bio"... that's the information people get when they click on your user name link...

It took me awhile to figure out how to do that, but once I did, it was pretty easy to fill in some of the information (like my real name, some of my hobbies, what state and/or country I live in, etc.). Gives folks here an idea of who you are, just like if they met you on the street and were giving you a hand figuring out some problem with your car. You don't need to provide your address, phone number or other personal stuff, but just some basics will give people from around the world an idea that you're a real person and maybe not some computer-generated device... LOL

Hey, wouldn't that be something, if there was some computer program that generated "artificial people" who carried on computer-generated conversations with other people in chat rooms and on forums like this one?

Hmmmmmm.... maybe it's time for me to re-configure and re-boot; I may be giving away my true identity... 8-)

Have fun with that Subaru. -Rick

...somewhat. I'll update it when I've got some free time!

artificial people, hey?? not a bad idea... and I thought I talking to oneself was quirky!

I got the motor torn down to the heads today, everything looks good so far - no broken bolts!! I'll get the heads off and start mic'ing stuff tomorrow. I guess it's time to source some parts... anything to know about bearings / rings / gaskets before I place orders?? I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow, hope that stuff is all I need!

best

Matt

Guest Bill Putney

Skip already said "all seals" (front and rear main, oil pump, and cam seals), but one that might be easy to overlook would be the cam cover bolt seals - I think they come in the set for the cam cover seals.

Also, there is an o-ring on the metal pipe that connects the driver's side radiator hose to the top of the water pump. That o-ring does go bad - replace it.

And I would like to add to Rick's comments about your bio: Make sure you include any bank accounts and credit card numbers. ;)

Guest NoahDL88

I am also rebuilding an EA-82 for my high performance engines class, i plan to put high performance Paeco cams in it along with the associated valve train components, along with cams i have to bore the block because cyl. 4 is scuffed and so i will be getting pistons 1 mm over or just .5 mm good luck with the rebuild, hopefully together we'll be able to ask all the questions that need to be answered so that our engines run when were done.

Welcome to the board

Noah DL 88 Wagon

D/R 3" lift