Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 motor into 3dr coupe Update!

Guest Naz53

Well I got my XT6 motor & 5 speed tranny into my 3dr coupe. I ended up using the stock 3dr lower cross member. I still have to modify the rear tranny mount on the XT6 tranny to fit the mount point on the 3dr & also make new lower front engine mount point on the 3dr. The 4wd rear end is up & in place from the XT6, the mount locations are there on the 3dr but instead of having threaded holes left open on the non-4wd they have them capped over & just have two points for location. (I need to get my pics up for better explanation) I am just going to use these points for location & weld the rear end support mounts in place.

Witte, did you have to cut out clearance in the front Rad support for the AC & Alt.? I did & also the lower front Rad support for the oil pressure sending unit. It's definately a tight fit but I think once I get the other mounts in place it should be alright, then I can put support pieces back into the area's I cut out.

The shifter from the XT6 bolted right into place as well, bonus as I like the gear shift in the XT6. Now once the mounts are done I can begin the task of changing over the wiring harness from the XT6 to the 3dr. If I get my pics scanned in can someone help me post them here? Thanks.

Nope, the upper support was fine on mine, but I didn't have AC. I would weld in a small pipe or something to reinforce the top as it is an important structural member.

The oil pressure sender I just removed and pluged the hole since I couldn't use it even if the sender wasn't trash.

Thanks Witte, not sure why mine is so close, maybe once I get the other mounts in place it won't be so bad. What did you use for a belt without AC? Did they make XT6's without AC, I thought they all had it. Is there a part number for the correct belt to use without AC, I'd rather take it off I think anyway. Thanks!

Naz53: I have a place/site I can put your pics, and if we can get some structure to the "ER27 swap/conversion" I would even be willing to host the site as well, and if we can get some info and such from Witte! I've got 2 different places I can put it...the pics, and possibly the site later.

What do you two think?

I'll help, but I don't know how great my memory of stuff is.

The ALT on mine was close, and I would bet that the A/C was the real problem given its much larger pulley. I used a 4 rib belt that was much shorter since it was right between two different 6 rib belt lengths that were aalible.

Are you using the XT6 pitching stopper?

wjmgl10,

Sounds good to me, I took a bunch of my film over last night to get developed of what I have done so far. I could put a real good presentation together in power point, that way I could lable the pictures. Not sure how you would then put them on a website, I'm not good with that. Could you open Microsoft power point files or I could maybe then get it into Word.

Witte,

I'm going to try I have to make a mounting point for it but with that one & the upper rear mount on the tranny it should keep the motor away from the support. When you said you modified your engine mounts how did you have to do it? When looking down into the engine bay from the front did your engine/mounts end up behind the normal points in the cross member or ahead. I tried to use my XT6 cross member by drilling out the same hole spacing as the stock 3dr (placed it over top of the XT6 one) but then the motor sat so far ahead that it wouldn't go back & meet the tranny which was in the stock mount points. So I just used the stock 3dr cross member & it fit OK (just tight at the front which was to be expected).

It's coming along though, wish I had more time at night to work on it, mainly weekends.

I used Teh EA-82 Mounts from the old 4cyl with the backing plate extended so it would bolt to the 6cyl. The back hole of the plate bolts right up to the 6cyl so it spaces the motor correctly. The stock round 6cyl mounts with the round plate cut to fit the subframe moves the motor back in relation to the engine bay. This would be fine, but the axles are then at an angle.

Witte,

I think I understand what you did now, I'll have to take a look at that tonight. Right now it appears my axles are going to be OK, but I'm going to put the struts & lower control arms tonight to see for sure. I would just like to get the motor back about 1 inch at least. One more quick question on your radiator, the part number you gave me I looked it up & it looks to have angled side tanks & yours appears to be straight sided & the over all dimensions if I remember right are 13 x 26. Do you have the overall dimensions for the one you have, I just found the papers with the two part numbers & descriptions but for the one with your part number it doesn't have the over all size & yours seems to fit real nice. Thanks!!!

The one that is more expensive is the one I have. Its also 13X26. I just included the other incase $220 was too steep.

BTW the XT6 pitching stopper is a bolt in, if you didn't notice. You have to use both the tranny mount and rod from the XT6. The only part of the setup from the 3dr you will use is the firewall mount which is kinda hard not to use since its a part of the firewall.

you can just send me the pics, make sure they are in jpg format, and dont send more than 1024kb at one time. Hotmaill wont let me have over 2mb. so we will need to do this little bits at a time, if you've got that much. Then make sure you've got an explanation about each pics. Then I can dress up a site for it.

wjmgl10,

I'll try to get the pics scanned in & labeled & emailed out to this weekend. Some of them came out kind of dark, not sure how good they will scan. Thanks!!!

wjmgl10,

Hey man look for the pics this week some time, I had to do some work around the house this weekend before the snow flies, sorry they will be coming. Thanks!

EJ,

I am performing the swap, I am documenting the whole thing with pictures & notes as I go. I have to appologize for not getting some pics up yet the project is more or less for fun & the challenge for me as I have other Soobs to drive so I am not in any rush to get it done. I am mainly getting a couple nights a week lately & some on the weekends as I am trying to finish up some things around my house before winter. The conversion is happening though. At this point I have the motor & tranny in place, I have to make / modify the rear tranny mount & also make a place for the front motor / pitch stop mount which was on the XT6 & not the 3dr. The rear end is in place & I have held the drive shaft in place to check length, I will have to put mounts in place for the drive shaft center mounts yet also. Once I have all the main parts mounted I am going to begin the wiring. It's not an easy project as I'm sure Witte & UltimateRX can also say with changing over complete engines but it is possible with time & effort. I have a bonus having a lift i my garage so the car stays in there on it for now.

NAZ I'm confused. The 3dr should take the entire XT6 pitching stopper setup w/o any problem. You use the XT6 tranny mount pitching stopper on the engine side, the XT6 rod, and the 3dr mount below the spare tire tray.

Maybe he repositioned the engine...if you move the tranny, then the pitching stopper will have to be made a different length...right? That's what I see. If the pitching stopper wont work, then the tranny/engine had been repositioned. Right?

Witte,

The top one yes is no problem, I just have to make the correct length & use the two points you mentioned. However the XT6 also has the lower mount on the front of the motor in front of the oil pan. I plan to mount that also & the 3dr does not have any place for this. I plan to use the bracket from the XT6 & cut & fit it into the lower front clip on the 3dr. I will be strengthening any area's which have been modified & I'm taking pictures as I go so I can put a complete package together to show. I did get motor mounts in last night buy using both the XT6 & the 4cyl mounts. I used the XT6 bracket which bolts to the engine, removed the rubber mount part & swapped it with the 4cyl rubber portion (removing the mount bracket). I had to drill a new hole in the XT6 bracket to fit it in place, I also used the old 4 cyl brackets to make spacers between the cross member & the motor mounts because without them the motor was resting on the cross member. I also had to grind some of the XT6 bracket out to get the mount at the right angle. I am taking pictures also. I just wish I could get more time on it, with winter coming here in PA soon I'll have more time for my garage projects.