Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ultimate rx, am I screwed?

Guest subarustyles

Guest subarustyles

I have almost all the parts for the 5 lug conversion.......I read one of your replies , and do i neet to have the turbo tranny? my wagon is a non turbo

Guest subarustyles

*%&^#@!!!!!!!!!!!! now I need a tranny...........anyone in oregon let me know...............................On a seperate note ...TEACH me the differences between my 4wd hi/lo and the full time...If I make my car full time 4wd, is it going to slow my car down being as I have a week non-turbo(my car is way slower in 4wd)?.....with full time to you get the clicking turning tight radius' like I do when Im in my 4wd?, etc........

THANK YOU

Guest bratsrus1

Hey Subarustyles This is Jerry, you need to know what gear ratio you have in your car is it a 3.90 or a 3.70. If it 's a 3.70 then Mike or Wapato87 has a rx 5 speed dual range for sale. He lives near Tacoma and i will be there next Saturday pulling a lsd rear end need some help just let me know, i will be there about noon. The rx has the big splines for your axles. Thanks Jerry

It will have more drivetrain loss than FWD, of course, but probably less than you have with yours in 4wd. The problem you describe with tight turns in 4wd is probably due to the fact that you have no center differential, so when in 4wd the front and rear are locked in to the same speed, which isn't good in a tight turn. The full-time 4wd transaxle has a center differential, so you won't have that problem unless you lock it, which you may want to do off road.

Guest subarustyles

bratsrus1(Jerry)......mine is a 3.9...If you could give me a call at 541-390-6604(i can call you back, I have free long distance) I would like to discuss the tranny.So I need a new transaxle too? anyway tonight up till 1am,monday late afternoon to all night,or tues between 1&4pm you can get a hold of me...

thanks alot,

Brad

bty i'm in bend OR

Guest kelowna kid

You should be aware that the turbo D/R tranny doesn`t have nearly as

much gear reduction in low range as the normal one.

(which makes it a poor choice for offroad IMO)

I``ve seen these #s quoted: turbo 1.196 to 1, normal 1.592 to 1

Custom axles may be a better solution to your dilemma.

Why do you want 5 studs anyway? Sounds like a lot of hassle for very

little gain to me.

A centre diff. is also a poor choice for offroad IMO.

(can you say one wheel drive?)

Guest UltimateRX

I called Kevin at CV Axles, he said it wouldn't be a problem. He said it would help if you could fine a 23 spling DOJ with that casing number of 95LAC on it, that is that same casing number of the XT6 4WD DOJ. That way you could keep your tranny and not have to get a turbo tranny, and for $55 apiece, you'll end up with axles with a lifetime guarantee.

Guest subarustyles

so where can I find the 23 spling DOJ #95LAC...?

...........So do I just send the DOJ's to him, Or do I need to get xt6 axles and send thoose off with the DOJ's( or will he have xt6 axles instock later?)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollin:

Guest wade12345

actually the center differential on my subaru works quite well, i broke a cv joint on the front of it, put it in 4 wheel drive and it drove just fine, the differential made you have to take off slow so it didnt slip but it still worked well, and once i was trying to pull a chevy truck out of the mud with it (lets just say the truck was a little to heavy to move) and all 4 tires spun on fiarly hard ground, no 1 wheel drive. I think my subaru is the best car i have ever driven (if i could only keep it on the road for longer then a month without it breaking)

Guest UltimateRX

SubaruStyle, lets see if I can explain that better, you will need to send him the XT6 axles AND the 23 spline DOJ, or you can have him purchase a 23 spline DOJ and it will cost more the the normal $55 he charges. Or you can get a set of XT6 axles and a set of axles for a non turbo car and chnage the DOJs yourself.

Guest subarustyles

hey Jason, Im in Bend. By the way where do you get other smileys at. like the fish one? :lol:

hey corkey, I know I keep talking about it, but friday I finally got pics with my friends digital camera! soon,soon soon........ ;)

Guest UltimateRX

Not often, and even less often lately. I do need to get down there though. So you're on the other side of the river from town. Did that wrecking yard that was out by Costco ever relocate??