Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am i missing something?

Guest sirltlcleo

Guest sirltlcleo

After spending a good week going over all the info out here in suby's little hunk of the internet[archives,links homepages,etc] I have come up with a course that I believe suits my needs.Thanks to all you guys that have taken the time to organize all this info,it has been more help than you could know.

I am not an offroader per say.I am a die hard fishermen that spends alot of time on dirt roads around the olympics.I love the dependability my 84 GL wagon has given me for the last 8 years.It has always gotten me there even when the road would of stopped a car and many a two wheeled truck.Keeping this in mind,I think the rejuvenation of my baby is going to look something like this...

Mallory ignition coil

weber carb [which one of the two I do not know?any thoughts?]

Two wheeldrive distributor [i saw a link that said it had a more true advance curve]

open the exhaust up [a bigger muffler,I gutted my catalytic converter a few years back]

Basically I am trying to squeeze all the power out of EA81 I can without jeopardizing reliability,am I missing anything?

I plan on doing these simple things in the next month on my original motor with 240,000 on it.As soon as it is legal I am going to have the largest 13" snow tires installed, I can get my hands on.I figure I will spend the winter running around with this config and go from there concerning tire size this summer.I am weary of the bigger wheels as suby already works on the hills[third gear].I would love to put the pugs and some smaller 14s on but am afraid of what it will do to me on the highway.any imput here would be great also.

what you guys think?am I missing something?

I would love to hook up with one of you guys in Tacoma with an all out suby.Taking a ride in one and watching it go through the gears would be neat!

thanks in advance!

Guest beauregaardhooligan

I have an Accell SuperSport coil on my '84 and love it. Probably cheaper than a Mallory.

Advance the timing to run hi-test and open up the gap on the plugs once you get the new coil.

A larger muffler wont help much if you don't have big pipe all the way from the heads to the tailpipe. I went with a 2". If you get too big a pipe, you'll lose bottom end grunt.

As for tires, the rim size doesn't matter, it's how tall the rubber is. You'll have a lot more tire options with a 14' wheel, it's hard to find good snow/mud/off-road tires in a 13. I am currently running some BFGoodrich all season 185-80/13s on FERTHER and it seems to be a good combo. The speedo is just a little slow, 65 is actually about 67 according to my gps, but it'll still climb like a mtn. goat in 4lo.

Guest Dennis ex24

i got an accel coil on my xt6...never had anything else on it, i know it works...but being that ive never had the stock one on there i cant say either way if u will lose or gain performance

FERTHER!!

Thats what I keep saying climbing the hill up to Ashville,"Just a little ferther, baby!" Just kidding! If I stand on it from the start, it'll almost make it in 4th.

I went from the stock coil to the Accell and noticed an immediate difference. Easier starts, less hesitation, more jump off the line and at speed, and at least 1 or 2 more mpgs.Be sure to open the gap on your plugs, I run about .45.

Summit.com or Jegs.com usually have good prices. The MSD Blaster coil should do the same thing and will fit in the factory location.

The factory Y-pipe seems to flow and scavenge fairly well IMO. So with your cat already hollowed out, I'd say that end of the system is ok.

On my '83 4wd wagon I went with 1 7/8" tubing from the cat back and a 6" round Dynomax Super Turbo ($30 from JCW.) With that combination I got much improved highway power, almost like having a 5th gear and yet it remained nice and quiet. I did lose a bit of low end torque so it's a little sluggish off the line. A Weber will fix the torque problem and really boost overall drivability.

Some tires are taller than others of the same size. I had one set of 185/80 R13's that rubbed but a hammer took care of it.

About a year ago I meet this crazy look'n dude with an older type ru wagon stalk'n my hood. Turns out its Ed aka. Beaureuguardhopscotch something erother. And he shows me his cool little wagon, we check out my brat and he tells me about the differance in coils the Accel makes. So being the rich good looking guy I am I go out later that week and get one. I got one thing to say about all of this,

Ed was right!

the accel coil works better and I could tell when I switched over from stock. Now its on my hatchback. Thanks Ed.

Guest Dennis ex24

when i look at the user name i think of some crazed drunk for some reason...

like a drunken leprechan dancing around rambling about subarus

how close am i?

no offense by the way

damn im retarded

:cool:

Your not too far off, Dennis.Takes one to know one you know.

And Evan, now I remember where I know you from! uh, never mind. BTW,ya'll, EJ is the one who turned me on to the USMB, so blame it on him! Seriously though, Thanx for the offer on the wheels!

Hey Ed! I've been drooling after those Nokians for a while now. Do you have some? They don't make as tall a 13" as I'd like, but I might go to pugs.

Siriticleo.

There's a few of us in the Seattle area. Both guys in T-town sold their Soobs and have Samurais now. I'm in Seattle, and have 2 different lifted soobs in my possession now. I'd be glad to let you check them out, or meet you somewhere half way between here and Tacoma in my Brat. It has a Carter Weber one barrel, but I just drove it to Portland and back with 28/9.50/15 inch Superswampers. It was able to keep 70-75 the whole way, long hills made it drop to 65 or so, never below 60, never had to use 3rd.

Eric Zap

chairotsu@earthlink.net

That was me Ed./ Mr.BeerGardenHooligan. I also picture someone who likes to drink a lot. I think we'd get along just fine. :lol:

I have some, but I'm using all that I have currently. Sold a set of older Hakki's that had been siped for a more aggressive tread by a previous rallyist to Luke which he used to win the class (can't blame the tires here since Luke does well at that event). I was using a set of the Hakki 1's yesterday at the RallyCross. They work quite well on dirt also and are a dream on the highway--very quiet at 70-75 mph.

Guest sirltlcleo

Well you gys definately have me convinced on the coil.I have glanced at the stock one many a times over the years and wondered if an upgrade would be worth it.

Thanks for the pointers on the tires.sounds like they would be good all year for an dirtroader!I found a small little dealer in Forks wa. that caries them.I fish out of this little town and know what they deal with in the winter.The fact that they carry them lets me know they are worth there salt.Betthey are a bit spendy but you get whatyou pay for....most of the time.I am new to this siping thing.They did it to my wifes tires and I had to ask ????

I am still curios about which of the two webers for the EA81 you guys like? Pros cons?