Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering rack - boot replacement

Guest sdawe

I have to replace the rubber boot on my ps rack on my 93 Loyale. I need to remove the tie rod end and slip the boot on over the end. Any pitfalls I should be looking for duirng this job? What is the safest way to remove the tied rod end without damaging anything?

Sean

Guest WAWalker

If your steering rack was leaking, (As mentioned in previous post) and you plan to use the power steering agin you will need a new rack. Replacing the boot is not going to fix your leak. To awnser your question, replacing the boot is stright forward. Paint the threads on the tie rod and mesure length before removing the tie rod end. If you don't get it the same length on reassembly you will need an alinment.

Guest baccaruda

yeah, if the boot appears to be leaking, it's cause the rack inside has been leaking enough to fill the boot. I think napa likes $280 for a remanufactured PS rack. I chose to spend $12 at pull N save AND learn how to take it out in the process, before I had to touch my car :D

you might have to take the car to a shop to have them break loose those tie rod end threads.. i've never been able to budge mine...