Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric power steering in my wagon

archemitis

xt6 powersteering pump, can i use this pump with just power runing to it when the car is on? seems like it would work just like the stock pump. any comments?

or will it not function without the power steering computer from the xt6, thus not at all. because of the speed sensetive nature of the steering.

it's done all the time on jeeps. the XT6 is a little light duty for them, but they use it because they can pick them up for 50 bucks.

it's just an electric motor - give it 12 volts and you're good to go. running constantly it probably won't last long, have it cut on when you turn the wheel.

the power controller isn't necessary, adjusts boost for different speeds and conditions. without it you just get the same boost all the time.

I put a toggle switch on my xt6's PS pump once because it wouldn't ever shut off, even when the car was off and the key was out. I ran the switch with huge 10g wire just to be safe, and the pump really doesn't like being turned on/off... turns out my ghetto switch (switch from an old computer power supply (read:AT)) actually saved my car from turning into a giant marshmallow roaster in the driveway. the pump shorted itself out so bad that it burned up the switch and the 10g wire (with the switch off....) which kinda acted like a fuse and wouldn't let any current go anywhere else, so it broke the short... not sure what the point of all this is, or if this will happen to you, just figured it'd be good information to have