Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-EJ Swap

NoahDL88

What car are you putting what engine into? Are you planning to lift it? Which tranny will you use? What fuel injection will you use?

I started a project a few years ago to put an EJ22 from a '97 Impreza into my '81 DL Hardtop. I was going to use a Legacy Turbo tranny. I didn't realize that EA cars with different trannies got different center tunnels. I would have to modify my 2wd 5spd center tunnel alot to get the AWD tranny to fit, so that temporarily halted the project. I did test fit the EJ22 engine into the car though. I was actually able to fit the EJ engine mount studs into the original holes in the EA crossmember. It took a little coaxing, so I'll probably slot out the holes a little, but it really wasn't that bad of a fit.

If you're going to use factory fuel injection, I recommend getting a very good wiring diagram. I was lucky and got a full factory wiring diagram with my '97 engine. I believe a diagram for the earlier engines is available from Kennedy Engineering (they sell them for people putting EJ22s into VW Buses, but I'm sure they'd still be helpful).

Good luck, and keep us updated.

I have been planning this for a while for my brat, you are gonna adapt a ej22 to a ea82 transmission then jam it into your car.

you need:

ej22 engine, ecu, wiring harness, fuel pump

EA82 transmission

mudrats adaptor kit

bratsrus tranny kit

and much much more! (not sure what though)

Akira you have hit the nail on the head, its going into the 88 Wagon, the EA-81 plan has exhausted my every thread of patience, too many issues, i figure starting over isn't too much of a stupid idea.

XT-6 clutch is Highly reccomended, i'm only using a STD one because thats the one i already have lying around, but if i didn't i'd go for the XT-6. other than that my only worry is the engine mounts, and what radiator to use, that has got me in a conundrum.

What car are you putting what engine into? Are you planning to lift it? Which tranny will you use? What fuel injection will you use?

I'm going to do this swap over the winter Putting '95 Impreza awd in '83 Brat, the key to this was the total removal of the firewall and trans tunnel from the Impreza so all the mounting points are in their exact locations. I took it all, all wire harnesses, dash, console, front crossmember, rear crossmember, fuel tank, fuel pump, steering column, clips, bolts, carpet, seats, computer, shifter assy. This way I will have no surprises. I'm sure this still won't be easy but if you cover all your bases before starting you'll be more likely to finish it rather than give up half way thru. Gary

Ok. I've been looking into this and doing alot of searches, but haven't found anything on doing this swap with an auto tranny. Would it be easier? Would I have to do anything with the flexplate? Should I use a torque converter from something else? I plan on making my own adapter, and have a pretty good handle on the wiring part.

The reason I ask about doing an auto is becuase my XT turbo needs an engine, and my Legacy turbo has a shot tranny. And I figure this would make for some serious fun! I'm sorry for hijacking, but I didn't think I should start another thread for this!