Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a custom Subaru? Big stereo? TV's? Tell us about it..

I know we do alot of talking on here about how to maintain our vehicles but it is not often that we talk about the extras we put into them. Some of you know that I used to be a car audio installer turned computer geek so I for one like to hear about everyday people and their rides. Got something "cool" in or on your ride....tell us. Better yet show us.

I bougt (2) 12" Pioneer IMPP woofers in a box ($20.0) and a legacy ($5.00) 800 watt amp over the weekend and installed it in my Legacy. Let me tell you it pounds sooooo hard that I have to adjust the rearview mirror every 3 seconds. I am running a Panasonic MP3/WMA CD/AM/FM/Sirius SAT headunit w/remote.

Whats in your Roo?

Guest lothar34

I've got a pair of old Kicker Competetition C12s (12") in a box that I got from my brother. They're still really good for a paper speaker. I have a pair of 4" 2-way Ultimate speakers in the rear doors, a pair of 4" Orion NTs in the front, and a pair of Ultimate 1" tweeters in the stock location in front. I have an Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit (which I bought the day Best Buy got them in stock back in 2000 -- the only other MP3/CD player at the time was a $700 Kenwood model), a 3-way Pyramid active crossover, a 2x300 and a 4x250 Pyramid amp, and a 2x100 Lighning Bolt amp.

Most of it was really cheap stuff. It sounds good though.

I used to have a pair of those Kicker 12's (stillwater audio) and a pair of orion XTR's in my nissan pickup and it was loud! I was using 2 older fosgate punch 150's bridged. They don't make them like they used to. They are made good but great comes with a large price tag. I miss the old PPI and soundstream amps.

You guys seem to be in the know about cars audio. I've got a 96 Brighton Wagon with the Fm and cassette deck. There's a two inch (about) tray just below it all. Could I install a CD player there and keep the rest of the system? And if so what would you advise I buy? I only want a decent player nothing too costly.

Thanks in advance.

What you can do to your car all depends on what you have as a stereo and how much talent you have.

If you have a Subaru Factory head unit with the DIN (round) plug in the back, then you could try to find an OEM (subaru stock) CD player that was sold as an option with your car. It will bolt up in place of the pocket (slot under your radio) and plug in with no problem.

If you have an after market deck of any kind then your options are as follows.

1. If you have a good head unit with CD changer controls then you can buy a CD changer that was made by the same maker as your head unit. (panasonic to panasonic, sony to sony.....etc) Always contact the maker before purchasing a changer so you know which model will work with your unit.

2. If your aftermarket head unit does not support a plug-and-play changer, you can purchase a changer with a built in FM modulator that will broadcast the music from your CD's on a designated FM station. These are real easy to install.

3. You could buy a head unit with a CD player and install it yourself.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Thanks Colorado. I have a Subaru head unit. Will try to find a used stock CD player or if not available a new one. Thanks again.

P.-S. If I have a Subary OEM head unit does that necessarily mean that i have the round plug you mentionned? Or is there more than one kind of connection?

In my impreza I have an older clarion cd player (from back in the day when things weren't so cluttered to use), 2 coustic 6.5's (rear), 2 blaupunkt 6.5's (front), and an 8" self amplified bazooka in the cargo area. Also in the dash opening I have a cobra 19+ CB that has been modified to put out 25 dead key and swing to 35 watts. :brow: Overall the system in the car is totally old technology (except the 2 sets of 6.5's) it sounds really great for my driving and my tastes in music (believe it or not I listen to a lot of "oldies" stations) Next up for the impreza (time/money permitting)...DYNAMAT!!!

Forester is stock 6 disk with add on tweeters and factory sub. Sounds really good for what it is.....

Matt

Dynamat aye... Does your 8" woofer hit that hard or do you just want to keep out the cold/heat? That stuff isn't cheap. You could also try spray in bed liner sprayed on pretty thick. It isn't as expensive and it is easier to apply if you know what you are doing. I think they actually sell it in cans now.

Just trying to save you some $

My 90 legacy wagon only shakes the spare tire area and the license plate and I am running 800 watts.

it really thumps for what it is....(the bazooka) but my main thing is the car is a little loud for long term driving and I would like to quiet it down a little. I know Dynamat is expensive but I really don't know what else to do though. Undercoating/bedliner sounds like a good idea but is it going to do the job though???

Matt

I would price rino lining. Spray it on a 1/4 inch thick (max) and you will be good to go. Just take out all your seats and the carpet ans spray it on. Make sure you mark the bolt holes and tape off anything you don't want to get it on. Before the stuff dries just peel the tape off. I did it in my jeep amd it works great. You might want to consider doing your door panels and firewall too. I've even seen people do the underside of the hood and in the spare tire area. It's available in alot of colors so you don't have to worry about hiding it. I even sprayed a speaker box I bulit with the stuff. Lets just say that box is water proof and bomb proof now. Hell....my garage floor is covered in it too. Except I used the Glow-in-the-dark lining for that. It is SWEEEEET!

Kenwood DDX7015 2-DIN DVD head unit

Kenwood Music Keg

Diamond Audio D5 600.4 (150x4) amplifier

Diamond Audio D5 1200.1 (1200x1) amplifier

Monster Audio Monster Cap (1 farad)

Diamond Audio M661 Components up front

Diamond Audio M361 Coaxials in rear

Diamond Audio M6 12DV4 12" subwoofer

Custom sealed fiberglass sub enclosure

Monster Cable XLN Pro interconnects x 3

Monster Cable distribution block, circuit breaker and fuses x2

Audiosystem01.JPG

Kenwood-Screen-Demo.JPG

I have those same exact pioneer subs in my car...only in a bandpass box running on a 500watt amp. They do hit hard...but the only problem is I can never seem to fully rid the spoiler rattle. But right now I am working on my MP3 player for the car. This whole sun-visor cd holder thing is not working to well for me. mmmmmm 999 tracks no waiting, who needs a cd changer when you have that. :P

aside from my distributorless ignition system

programable fuel injection

the only other neat toy i have

is the via mini=itx mother board thats sits ina small.. 7"x7"x7" welded steel cage 800 mhz

12gig laptop hard drive

laptop cd rom

8" or so lcd i still have to wire up

good for music .. lots and lots of music

navigation when i get a gps card video games and movies .. "nvidia pci geforce 2 or 4 pci vid card i forget wich one now >

other than that mine is almost stock or look like it is :)

well here's mine..

Kenwood eXcelon head unit

Kenwood eXcelon 8" touch screen lcd monitor

Blaupunkt dvd/mp3 player

Coustic design reference crossover

(3) Coustic 100x2 amps

Coustic 6 1/2, Coustic design reference 5 1/4, and tweet

Coustic 8" and tweet

(2) Kenwood eXcelon 401m momo blocks

(2) 2ohm Boston Acoustic Pro 12" subs---subs are getting 600w RMS a piece :banana:

(2) Optima blue tops

4012004_0209_001-med.jpg

4012004_0209_002-med.jpg

4012004_0209_0121-med.jpg

4012004_0215_002.jpg