Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electrical nightmare

Guest bratsco1

Guest bratsco1

Last week friday I was driving home and AHHHHHHHHHH it quit running ...nothing,... we installed a fuse link and it fired up figuered no prob. a mile from the house quit again ,and burned a few links. got home tried a few things hell ran great, life was great for a day and a half ,Boom quit again CRAP another tow. last night Jerry and I pulled thge switch off another roo and HEY RAN FINE KILLER.this morning.................went to start it and the Battery light came on MAX CHARGE so ...**** I shut her down gonna try a different alt and a friend has a new switch for me HOPEFULLY I can get this resolved.......looks like I picked a bad day to give up drinkin....hehe....Pat

Guest UltimateRX

Pat, I see you are learning more about your little toy every day, but you left out a few details about this experience that Jerry filled me in on. Man, you need to stay away from those places so close to home. :lol:

Guest edrach

Pat, I had exactly the same symptoms on my '86 wagon last week. I thought I had a bad terminal connection on the negative side of the battery, but it turned out I had an intermittant open connection internally. Cost me two alternators before I replaced the battery! Wiped out the voltage regulator both times.

Here are the complete gory details: pub1.ezboard.com/fultimatesubarumessageboardsgeneralsubarudiscussion.showMessage?topicID=15199.topic

Guest bratsco1

I changed out the battery with the one out of my brat ARAAAAAAAAA SAME PROBLEM I disconected the calt and loaded it on my car trailer seems tomorrow I will be at the mercy of the wire whores,if they fix it cool if they dont ahhhhh ****....Pat

Guest edrach

Only other thing might be an intermittant fusible link or flakey ignition switch. Not sure if that will cause the alternator failures, but it might.

Guest Turbone

Make sure all your hot leads arent shorting out on something, could be hard to spot. You will have to check the insulation on all the wires. Yea, I know a real PIA.

Rob

Guest bratsco1

Well I droped it off this A.M they dident get to it today but they will tomorrow, when I asked them if they could fix it he said.....YUP... when I asked how much he just....smiled..kinda scary....oh well what are you gonna do......Pat

Guest bratsco1

How did you know??? hey dave you should come up when Mcbrat is here should be fun. hopefully after 19900.00 worth of wireing Il be ready.........Pat