Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IT'S DONE! Swapped EJ22 for EJ25 in '97 Outback

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well...bought the 1995 EJ22 (impreza automatic w/EGR)

dropped it and the OBW off at shop.

I'd really hoped to get some photos and write this up and maybe learn something myself but my friend was uncomfortable with that, so I'm just crossing my fingers at this stage and hoping it all goes well.

update: :banana: the engine dropped in and ran with no hassles. :banana:

need exhaust gaskets to finish up on monday.

It was a pleasant surprise to find out the CV boots are torn on both sides. :banghead:

all the info on this board was correct and really, really helped get this done. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats. Excellent information here

Kevin in post 18 talked about a custom bracket that needed to be built. Does anyone know what he is referring to?

I am going to take the plunge with one of these shortly.

• 1 year later...
Engine was $2105.00 (including shipping)

Installation was $600.00 (including extra parts, fluids, etc)

Total: $2700.00

(and now has a 3 year warranty on the engine!!)

Can you imagine less than 4 years later CCR is now charging $3570 for a rebuilt 2.2L?!!! That's absolutely rediculous.

They charge a $375 core charge too. People are swapping a 2.5L for a 2.2L. Why charge a core charge on a completely different engine? Maybe they know this and will only accept a 2.2L engine as the core?

Who in their right mind is going to go through the trouble of palletizing their 2.5L engine, taking it to a shipper, paying $100 or more for shipping to colorado and then hoping they refund the $375???

IMO, CCR is a very poor option now.

Out of curiosity, I emailed CCR asking how much a 2.2L engine was. I got a return email back today with an attached PDF file of the quote. With the $375 core charge the rebuilt 2.2L is $3570. This quote failed to say if shipping was included in the price so it could be even higher.

:slobber:

Date

2/18/2008

Quote #

Name / Address

Colorado Component Rebuilders, Inc.

5861 Marion Street

Denver, CO 80216

Rep Project

Total

Description Qty Total

2.2L Legacy engine 3,195.00

Core Deposit (refundable) 375.00

Colorado State/Local sales tax 0.00

$3,570.00

Can you imagine less than 4 years later CCR is now charging $3570 for a rebuilt 2.2L?!!! That's absolutely rediculous.

They charge a $375 core charge too. People are swapping a 2.5L for a 2.2L. Why charge a core charge on a completely different engine? Maybe they know this and will only accept a 2.2L engine as the core?

Who in their right mind is going to go through the trouble of palletizing their 2.5L engine, taking it to a shipper, paying $100 or more for shipping to colorado and then hoping they refund the $375???

IMO, CCR is a very poor option now.

Busa, and others.

Be careful when you jump to conclusions on an internet forum. If you have a question about what CCR charges you need to simply call them.

Core charges are nothing new. CCR had a few too many people not send their core engine back...including WRX cores that are nearly impossible to replace for a reasonable amount. Trusting people to send their core back no longer is an option.

The $375 core charge is not rediculous. Go pull a rebuildable core from a yard. 4 hours at the yard pulling one, plus the cost of the actual engine adds up. On top of that try to buy an ej22 that is 95 and newer or an ej25 at a yard. Not easy to find a decent one and further not under 200 dollars and certainly not cheap.

On top of that it doesnt matter if you send back an EJ25 core for the 2.2 core that is exactly what they expect you are doing.

CCR now does their EJ22 conversion differently than it did in the past. A vast majority of the people that did the conversion had no check engine lights or problems but a small handful couldnt get rid of the codes and after spending some considerable time on the phone with those people trying to help them they developed a more foolproof way...in fact one that made the conversion more available than before as finding a 95 Legacy intake in the yard isnt terribly easy at times.

They now send a blank intake manifold casting that will accept all the ej25 components. It is a brand new casting with a fuel rail setup on it. You simply transfer your intake wiring harness, fuel lines, coilpack, sensors, etc onto the new manifold from your ej25 manifold and install your rebuilt engine. This guarantees full compatibility with the wiring and passing emissions and that you wont have annoying check engine lights coming on.

The product is better than ever and mine ran great. I am thinking about doing it again on my latest find (97 OBW).

tbreaden (Todd)

From ,my research you cannot put the 95 EJ22 in a 99 Forester. At least easily. You run into the complications in engine management and bolting to the trans. I guess it could be done with some tweaking.

I still want to do this swap on my 99 Forester of my moms. The 2.5 SOHC still scares me....not as much as the DOHC though.

I'm wondering if the bellhousing for the 2.5 will fit on the 1995 EJ22? That would take care of the bolt issue at least!!

Todd (yes another Todd)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61096

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83537

Busa, and others.

Be careful when you jump to conclusions on an internet forum. If you have a question about what CCR charges you need to simply call them.

Core charges are nothing new. CCR had a few too many people not send their core engine back...including WRX cores that are nearly impossible to replace for a reasonable amount. Trusting people to send their core back no longer is an option.

The $375 core charge is not rediculous. Go pull a rebuildable core from a yard. 4 hours at the yard pulling one, plus the cost of the actual engine adds up. On top of that try to buy an ej22 that is 95 and newer or an ej25 at a yard. Not easy to find a decent one and further not under 200 dollars and certainly not cheap.

On top of that it doesnt matter if you send back an EJ25 core for the 2.2 core that is exactly what they expect you are doing.

CCR now does their EJ22 conversion differently than it did in the past. A vast majority of the people that did the conversion had no check engine lights or problems but a small handful couldnt get rid of the codes and after spending some considerable time on the phone with those people trying to help them they developed a more foolproof way...in fact one that made the conversion more available than before as finding a 95 Legacy intake in the yard isnt terribly easy at times.

They now send a blank intake manifold casting that will accept all the ej25 components. It is a brand new casting with a fuel rail setup on it. You simply transfer your intake wiring harness, fuel lines, coilpack, sensors, etc onto the new manifold from your ej25 manifold and install your rebuilt engine. This guarantees full compatibility with the wiring and passing emissions and that you wont have annoying check engine lights coming on.

The product is better than ever and mine ran great. I am thinking about doing it again on my latest find (97 OBW).

I did have a question about what CCR charges so I emailed them. They responded with the $3195 quote.

With such a high price being charged for the rebuilt engine, I don't think CCR should expect to get a core. Then again, If CCR pays shipping back to colorado for the core that would be fair. I can understand why people don't send their cores back. I've shipped some big heavy things (like a car engine) and it isn't fun or cheap.

If you decide to spend $3195 for a rebuilt 2.2.L with "non residential" shipping included that's up to you. I personally think that price is incredibly high and would never spend that much. Even if the price included installation, I wouldn't do it. That's outrageous. :slobber:

Okay. I don't usually jump into discussions about CCR, but I think it's time to get involved here because there are some miscommunications and assumptions flying that are a bit inaccurate.

1) There was an accidental error in your quote. We researched your original email and it should have been $2295. Had your reply email been to clarify and not to accuse us of smoking crack, we could have easily resolved the error immediately. (The $3195 was for the '99 EJ22, not the '96 EJ22.) That's a much more expensive engine to build since it's a hybrid between the EJ22 and the EJ25 SOHC. That price also includes non-residential shipping anywhere in the 48 states and the full gasket installation kit (all Subaru Genuine parts).

2) We have always paid for return shipping. This is nothing new. I apologize that this was not spelled out in the reply to you. I was gone for a few weeks and the usual method of replying with quotes was not utilized by the person who was handling them for me.

3) The core charge is reasonable and based on what we have to pay to replace the cores for future rebuilds. It is also refundable. Even if the block was scored beyond use, we will usually give a partial refund based on what we can salvage.

4) Admittedly, we did have a small price increase on a few (not all) engines in January because our cost of materials and machining went up substantially. (Example: machining costs alone per engine are over $250 per engine, not including clean up). We held off as long as we could on that, but eventually could not continue to absorb the higher costs to us and had no choice in the matter. Also, please remember that we won't use cheap, questionable aftermarket parts. All parts are Subaru Genuine or truly OEM when we can buy from the manufacturers who actually supply Subaru.

5) Compare our prices to the only other 2 companies who even attempt Subaru rebuilds: ATK and Jasper. I think you'll be surprised at how reasonable our engines are. And we actually stand behind our work.

Now to address the gentleman who is asking about putting an EJ22 into a '99: No, it won't fit. For one thing, the bell housing is actually part of the block itself.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Now to address the gentleman who is asking about putting an EJ22 into a '99: No, it won't fit. For one thing, the bell housing is actually part of the block itself.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

?????swap works the other way round?????

Bells are excactly the same except 4 extra holes on the 99+

4 bolt was good enough for the motor in it' original application, should work fine.

Now making the Throttlebody/IAC/sensors work is another issue.

However, I'm pretty sure someone has done it.

I guess I'm remembering the EA71s. You could change the bellhousings to the old style, coverting the newer/fatcase EA71s. Oh I long for the simplicity of those years!!!

I believe there will be more investigations and hopefully solutions, to putting the 1995 2.2 into 1999 and up vehicles. It's just a rock solid engine with no worries!

Todd