Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 01 Forester L, I was playing around with the dash today as I was driving and noticed a "P" button on the top of my steering column. I had always thought that the button on the top of the steering column was the hazards? Of course I pushed it and the park lights came on. The park lights already come on when you turn on the lights with the blinker knob.

Why is there two ways to turn on your park lights? :confused:

(yet another unimportent thread on usless car information) :rolleyes:

Inquiring & Simple minds want to know...

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I have an 01 Forester L, I was playing around with the dash today as I was driving and noticed a "P" button on the top of my steering column. I had always thought that the button on the top of the steering column was the hazards? Of course I pushed it and the park lights came on. The park lights already come on when you turn on the lights with the blinker knob.

Why is there two ways to turn on your park lights? :confused:

(yet another unimportent thread on usless car information) :rolleyes:

Inquiring & Simple minds want to know...

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Because you cannot turn on lights wo key in it. The p button works withou the key being in so if you need to run in somewhere without the keys in the car you still can have parking lights.

I did not know about the Erupean requierment, but I had noticed that the lights do not come on if the ignition is off, but they do for the "P" switch. Very handy if you are stuck on the freeway, and do not want to run all the ignition items (and run your battery down quite fast). I thought it was a good idea when I found it out. Oh, and the "Hazzard Lights" or "4-Ways" (dpeending on how you learned to name them) are activated by the button with a red double triangle on your dashboard.

Can't speak for most European countries, but most German cars have a second detent on the turn signals to turn on the parking lights on one side, a requirement on many unlit streets.

Actually, only the rear tail lamp comes on, and there is a small bulb in the front headlamp housing that illuminates.