Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got my first car today... And other assorted fixing fun.

Greetings all!

Just got my first car today, a 1988 Subaru GL-10 Wagon. Free no less, though I just have to return the “$500” dollar radio that is in it. It’s in great shape for being 16 years old, only a single dent on the exterior, no rust at all. The interior is also in relatively good shape. 5 speed, so I need to learn how to drive it. (Only autos before this)

Oh, and the engine won’t start at present. But my dad is a mechanic, so we’ll figure it out. It is a new engine though, less then 30k miles on it. (I believe 140k on everything else)

Just needs a new battery, a radio, and tires in a year or so. (At least that is the current list…)

Yee! I’m all excited. I just wanted to make my first post here a greeting rather then whine about something. :D

-Kos

Glad to have you aboard. The GL-10 is pretty tricked out and I think you'll love it when you get her rolling.

My '88 GL wagon was my first 5speed also. Learned to drive it the day I bought it so it's pretty darn easy. The thing that really got me going quick was the fact that the previouse owner said "GET IN and lets GO!". So a few verbal commands later we were tearing off down the street! :slobber: It's really easy once you are moving and I think you'll love it when you get the hang of it.

And greetings to you!!!

My personal opinion is that an '88 GL-10 would make a fine first car... kind of why I'm making my kids learn to drive on similar ones (though Automatics :) ). Lots of options reasonably comfy and quiet.

And the best featur of all: FREE!!! :lol:

Let us know how things go with it. And remember that if you want some help hthat some more specs would be helpful... whether it has a carburetor or which type of fuel injection system (SPFI of MPFI) it has.... and is it a Turbo??? :grin:

Welcome again, and good luck.

Hehe, thanks all. I'm pretty sure it is a turbo (due to the 4" letters on the side that say TURBO) Other then that I don't know yet, I need to get some wiring diagrams from the library before we start to tear into it.

Hopefully we can get it running without too many problems :banana:

:) The starter does turn, but we have not had time to look at it yet (pouring rain all day, no garage) The guy we got it from took it to two shops and they did not find anything, but they both were pretty sure it was the electrical.

They did not want to probe much more without getting payment. I can understand that, and the guy did not want to pay as it was not his primary car. (He has a 2004 outback, another GL wagon, and another Subaru one, I'm not sure what it is)

He just wanted to get rid of it, thus, I got it. :D

So I’m sure it's not something really simple, as he would have no doubt fixed it on his own. But aside from that, I don't have any more details. Hopefully this week if it does not snow we can pop the hood and start to poke around.

Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate it. :cool:

welcome!

I too learned to drive a 5-speed in my subaru, because of some communication problems, I didn't get the title (and therefore couldn't liscence it) on it for a couple weeks, so I spent that time practicing driving up and down the driveway, put it in 4 Lo, plus a slightly worn out clutch, and you almost can't kill it!!!

Heh, being as broke as I am, I don't think I have to worry about multiple ones just yet ;)

Today before I left for work we took at look at it, the first thing we found wrong was the coil was toast. Picked up a new one today, have yet to see what affect it has though. Most of what is wrong (that we can tell) is a bunch of stuff is jury rigged, intake manifold is duct taped, ground wires all over not hooked up. Just a bunch of little things.

No spare tire (or rim), and the left rear tire (just that one) is studded...

So from our hour exploration this morning, it does not look too bad. :grin:

Being broke didn't stop you from getting your first Subaru?:confused:

Why on earth would it stop you from getting more :brow:

My bet is by the time you 18 you'll have three and it will just get worse from there :lol:

Good luck

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Heh, being as broke as I am, I don't think I have to worry about multiple ones just yet ;)

yea, you'd think that'd slow you down wouldn't you. Well, I already am running out of the money I saved to lift mine next summer, and almost spent it on an XT6 instead, still debating whether that was a good choics, that would've been cool. But I would agree, a third party is a big help!!

Being broke didn't stop you from getting your first Subaru?:confused:

Why on earth would it stop you from getting more :brow:

My bet is by the time you 18 you'll have three and it will just get worse from there :lol:

Might be a little tough as I am already 18 :D drove/driving a spare of my parents for now (87' isuzu trooper, just costs me gas and insurance) So figure... 20 or so for that tri-car figure. And if said other cars were also free, it might be hard indeed to pass them up...

Started to clean it out, found a candy box, and a fork. Of all the things to find in a map pocket, I would not have expected a fork... (A metal one nonetheless)

-kos

Fun. New coil did nothing, power goes to it, but nothing comes out of it... No sparky. :banghead:

We started to poke around under the dash, and my dad (the mechanic) found a really burnt wire. So we spent the better part of two hours taking the dashboard off. Too. Many. Wires. When I left for work he finally got the stupid thing off and was beginning to look at the wiring harness. Woo its gonna be fun putting that all back together.

Would anyone happen to know were we could find some colored wiring diagrams? We did find out it has a MPFI.

Gonna be interesting for the next few weeks..

-kos