Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Subaru Problems!!

I have my beloved 1981 Subaru that I bought for $5, yes $5 that had 209,000 miles and a new everything except for some suspension pieces. After those were replaced, it failed DEQ/Smog/inspection due to a overflowing carburator. That was professionally rebuilt.

It now has major issues, they have been getting worse, and I believe some of the exsisted before the carb rebuilt.

At around 2500 RPM, there is major accelatation hesitation, and I give it more gas to make it keep going.

In cold mornings, the car seems to flood itself, as I have to pulse the gas to keep it alive. And large amounts of gray smoke that doesnt smell like oil comes out.

The Idle is searching for a home. Sometimes it doesnt idle, sometimes its around 2000 rpm.

When traveling around right hand turns, the car will die when not in gear.

The distributor is around 30,000 miles old, and one shop said both the carb, distributor needed to be replaced.

Temperature seems to be an issue, as the car will get warm (even on cold days) but the fan keeps the car at good temperature.

Exhaust smells like maybe coolant...no water in the oil etc.

This problem blew a major hole in the muffler.

Anyone have Ideas? I dont want to see this car go!

Maybe EGR value, thermostat, choke settings, or wireing to the choke?

Other electrical errors, the car does have a small history of blown fuses.

Thanks!

choke settings,

Thanks!

when i read your biopsy- this is exactly what came to mind. when your car floods itself at start-up, it's probably like my brat on a manual choke where you have to push the gas down for a second before you turn the key to set the choke.. if you're doing this, and your problem remains, i've had way similar problems on honda motorcycles- which are basicly scale models as far as choke goes. I have no idea where the choke settings on my brat are, i could look them up if anyone else agrees w/ my idea, but i think you hit the nail on the head if i had to guess.

• 10 years later...

when i read your biopsy- this is exactly what came to mind. when your car floods itself at start-up, it's probably like my brat on a manual choke where you have to push the gas down for a second before you turn the key to set the choke.. if you're doing this, and your problem remains, i've had way similar problems on honda motorcycles- which are basicly scale models as far as choke goes. I have no idea where the choke settings on my brat are, i could look them up if anyone else agrees w/ my idea, but i think you hit the nail on the head if i had to guess.

The 81 brat ea81 I'm working on has the choke on the side on the carb with a cover on it. The cover has marks for setting the timing but it all operating off a thermostat spring that's in the housing. Mine is busted so I'll be putting a manual choke in after I finish other stuff on the car. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Have you checked your gaskets? If the head gasket is busted fluid will leak in and you'll be blowing smoke. It'll also affect your car's ability to cool off since its getting burned up. That would explain why it gets to "warm" on cold days.