Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD vs VLSD , 3.7 vs 3.9 vx 4.11(To be archived)

Guest subyguy

Guest subyguy

i know what that lsd stands for limited slip diff and that the v in vlsd stands for viscus i also no that the 4.11 is the lower geared rear end.

my question is what cars did thes come from ive seen some say that they have an vlsd in there mid 80s wagons and other say there only in the legacy turbo, and where can i find 4.11 gearing do i have to have to do a swap ont he trany to 4.11 or can i find one somwhere, im starting a new project so this will help me decide what to go with. it will be an ea 82 wagon with a 4in lift and lsd of some type. also is the ea82 worth the truble to find????

thank you all for the grate board

Guest Subaru Bob

okay.

the 3.70 LSD was available in 80s soobs, mostly in the form of RXs. However, it was an option for other soobs, so you should check them all just to be sure.

3.90 was available in 90-94 legacys i believe. Not sure if that is just turbo version either... Once again, probably an option for every one.

As for 4.11s, i don't know if you can do that unless you swap in a 4.11 tranny also. And in that case, I'd just take the entire driveline from the car you get the rear-end and/or tranny out of...

SubaruBob

Guest crazy man scooby

EA82's are not hard to find i have i have 4 85 gl wagon, 86 gl wagon, 87 gl sedan and an 88 gl sedan.

Guest Lewy80DL

OK, here's the scoop, the LSDs were in EA82s, 1985 to 1994 (called Loyals from 1990 to 1994), they were standard on all RXs and 1989 GL-10 AWDs, and optional on just about every other 4WD (AWD) vehicle. With the exception of the extremely rare XT6 AWD LSD (3.90 ratio) all LSDs have a 3.70 ratio. I could be wrong, but I have never seen a LSD that was stock or a factory option on an EA81 series car.

The VLSD was only available on the 1991 to 1994 Legacy Turbos and has a 3.90 ratio.

The 4.11 ratio is that standard ratio for all non-turbo Legacys, at least for the 1990 to 1994s.

I have a VLSD in my 86 GL-10 Turbo Sedan, but it is not stock, I installed it.

Guest Lewy80DL

For futher reference, here is the LSD dataplate on the back of the rear differenetial LSD37.jpg

There are actually 3 part number for the LSD, 722011000, 722011001, and 722011002

And here is the VLSD dataplate

VLSD.jpg

Guest donald893

no one could know more about this stuff than you corky. YOU DA MAN.

oh while i'm here i'm sorry but funds won't allow me to get that hatch from you any time soon.

Guest subyguy

so wich is the best rear end to build an off road car with i know it has to be an lsd but witch ratio i dont see much about puting the 4.11 ration in them why noto or am i confused did they even make a 4.11 ratio rearend,

Guest johnszigi

if it really is going to be for off-road use only, then just have you 3.9 stock diff's spider gears welded. for clarification purposes, that means the car will only be used in the woods and driving to the woods. not a daily driver. ralph and matt have welded rear-ends and do the 1 axle trip sometimes in the rear for daily trips. othertimes they drive on the street with both axles still in. our last trip out i didn't feel satisfied with my lsd and am thinking of going back to welded for the sake of always having the rears spinning.

Guest subyswamper

I agree with John, Matt and I both have NSD {no slip diff} The welded one allways spin both rear tires, and only cost about twenty bucks to have welded up.

I had a LSD out of a RX but sold it after seeing how well they work off road. They may still only spin one tire if put in the right possition, and they due wear out clutch packs as well. I think most LSD rear diffs only take about 70 foot pounds to break free.

So if one tire is up in the air, it can break free and spin.

But the LSD is best for street use, and expect to break a few parts with a welded one.{c-v joints, and axle stubs}

Ralph

Guest oregonboy1

I just got back from a yard and I found a rear differential in the back trunk of a XT6 Full-Time 4wd. Since the car is missing its rear differential underneath, I'm assuming this one came off the XT6. However, when I looked at the plate on the back, it did not say LSD. It only said 3.9 and had the part number on it ... #622006022. I think I already know the answer, but is this a LSD?

Derek

Guest Lewy80DL

Nope, just a regular differential, sorry. The wholesale price new would be $549.19 and retail would be $713.23. I checked my 1989 dealers broucher, and it does not show LSD as an option for the XT6 Full Time 4WD, that must have been an option in later years, anyone have a 1990 or 1991 dealer broucher?

Guest subyguy

OK i was looking in an owners manual for the ea82 cars and on the interior diagrame it showed what looks like a botton down by the shiffter and it said diff lock by it, was this a real diff lock or a lock for the transfer case. like i hear the rx has? was it a diff lock at the rear axel.??

ive heard people talk about welding the rear end. how long do axels last when you do this seams like it would just rip cvs out if you drove it at all on pavment,

Guest Lewy80DL

Subyguy, just because it has a center locking differential doesn't make it a RX, it also has to be a dual range. I have seen several 87 or never GL-10 Full Time 4WD Turbo Sedans with center locking differentials, but no D/R. It lock the differential inside the tranny so that front and rear drive are linked together on a Full Time 4WD or AWD, great for low traction times, not so great on dry pavement.

Guest subtech

You will generally find the 5 speed cars had a 4.11 non posi, RX's and turbos with diff lock had 3.70 ratio, with LSD. A car with a 3AT will be a 3.70 or 3.90 non LSD. Remember that later Foresters will have a LSD rear diff.

Jim

Guest oregonboy1

I found a RX 4-door turbo sedan today at a yard. Someone had chopped off the rear end part of the body...so I was pleasantly surprised when I looked underneath and noticed that the rear diff was still there. I'm not sure what year it is but I did get the first few numbers of the vin #...they are JF2AC5. From what I've read on this thread, all RX cars had the 3.7 LSD, right? When I looked underneath, there was a bunch of grease and grass in the way, so I wasn't able to check out the plate (the car is not jacked up).

Unfortunately, this yard is not a u-pull it, so when I asked the guy how much he would charge to pull the rear diff for me, he said he would do it for $150. That seems kinda high to me. I would be putting the LSD in my 82 Brat and I was wondering, since I do alot of driving on the pavement, would it be a worthwhile upgrade to do, or is it only worthwhile to do if I do alot of serious off-roading. Final question is, would it be a clean swap with the current rear diff I have on my Brat, or would I need to make some adjustments? If I don't buy the LSD, I'll give anyone interested all the info of where it's at. (Portland, OR)

Derek

Guest Lewy80DL

That is a differential from a Legacy B4 I believe, someone from Downunder or in Japan will have to verify that. Bret of BYB had one up for bid on eBay awhile ago.

Guest Lewy80DL

Jim, what cars are you talking about, all of the cars in the 80's either had a 3.90 (if non-turbo) or a 3.70 (turbo cars, both LSD and normal). Those ratios started changing with the intro of the Legacy. In 1990 the all Legacys had 4.11 ratios, in 1991, with the intro of the turbo Legacy, they got a 3.90 VLSD, 1992 and on, the ratios where all over the place.