Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
jelly man

90 legacy with door lock that sticks

I have a 91 legacy wagon with a passenger door that will not open on the inside unless you hold the door lock rocker open while pulling the door handle. I searched the posts and have found others with a similar problem but no solution posted.

Problem solved! It was a sticking electric door lock.

Thats weird mine does the same thing. I just thought it was my car only that did that. I have to unlock the passengers side door and crawl thru to the drivers side to unlock the doors. The drivers side outside lock just spins when I out the key in.

If you search the internet for "early Legacy locks" you will discover a posting that explains how to fix this. I have same problem on my '90 Legacy sedan but haven't tried it yet. If you can't find it post again & I will try to get website for you.

Jim

I searched and found the page on early legacy locks before I started this thread. That was clearly not the problem in this case and a few others were wrongly referred to that post when they had a problem similar to mine. It's definitely not the broken plastic hook for the spring in the lock remote. The electric lock selonoid jams and puts continual tension on the lock requiring you to push the rocker to counter the force while opening the door lever. The solution just required cycling the electric door locks until they finally worked. It helps to put pressure on the rocker while when cycling the door locks. That way it locks and unlocks every time.

I searched and found the page on early legacy locks before I started this thread. That was clearly not the problem in this case and a few others were wrongly referred to that post when they had a problem similar to mine. It's definitely not the broken plastic hook for the spring in the lock remote. The electric lock selonoid jams and puts continual tension on the lock requiring you to push the rocker to counter the force while opening the door lever. The solution just required cycling the electric door locks until they finally worked. It helps to put pressure on the rocker while when cycling the door locks. That way it locks and unlocks every time.

I have this problem w/ a '91 Legacy on all the doors. They require holding the lock mechanism open w/ using the door handle. It also (seemingly) randomly locks the driver's door when it's closed. Is there a single solenoid/module/whatever causing this?