Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my torque wrench toast?

Hi All:

I lended my torque wrench to a friend who needed to torque her lug nuts. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell her not to use it for loosening them, which she did. They must have been about 70 to 80 lbs/ft.

Has the wrench been damaged as a result?

I understand that putting the dial on zero would have reduced the risk, but she didn't.

TIA

Hi All:

I lended my torque wrench to a friend who needed to torque her lug nuts. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell her not to use it for loosening them, which she did. They must have been about 70 to 80 lbs/ft.

Has the wrench been damaged as a result?

I understand that putting the dial on zero would have reduced the risk, but she didn't.

TIA

I'm sorry could you repeat the question. Your avatar got the best of my attention.;) Seriously though, I don't think it's a good idea, but I don't see why it would damage it. It's still a ratchet wrench.

Charles

Any good torque wrench will have "sacrificial" bits that crumble when you exceed the max torque. This makes a loud CLACK noise during the operation. So, if it still works, it still works. However, it might be a good idea to send it in for re-calibration.

(I assume it's a "click" wrench, not one of those with dial you have to read.)

Any good torque wrench will have "sacrificial" bits that crumble when you exceed the max torque. This makes a loud CLACK noise during the operation. So, if it still works, it still works. However, it might be a good idea to send it in for re-calibration.

(I assume it's a "click" wrench, not one of those with dial you have to read.)

It still "clicks", but I'm not sure I can still trust its accuracy. As for recalibration, it seems to be expensive - like almost the cost of a new one.

hmmm I wonder what you look like then......if you want to send a pic.............
I meant that a real photo would be too large (as in kilobytes) and would go beyond the size limit for avatars. BTW Jean = French for John. Probably not the kind of pic you'd want to see.icon7.gif

I meant that a real photo would be too large (as in kilobytes) and would go beyond the size limit for avatars. BTW Jean = French for John. Probably not the kind of pic you'd want to see.icon7.gif

oops :grin: sorry too many women around here with Jean and Gene as their name but that is funny lol should tell that to someone I know at work that haha

After doing some research, I realize that the calibration must have already been off anyway. Indeed, I have never put it back to zero before storing it, and that must have screwed the calibration.

I'll try to find out by how much it's off, by comparing it to a known good one and decide whether or not to have it re-calibrated or buy a new one.

Thanks for all your replies.

I worked at a corporation that manufactured/tested motor oils. We built hundreds of test engines a year. We also had test standards we had to meet, like having measuring tools/torque wrenches calibrated. We had the rig to test the torque wrenches.

One thing I learned. About the only way you can knock a snap-on torque wrench out of adjustment was to use it as a sledgehammer. You could fail to store it while set at the wrong number, use it to break nuts loose, go waaaay past when it first clicked at you. Very few had to get sent out. Another thing that seemed real interesting was it was accurate even when it was set to a number that was off of the scale. Like if it stopped at 30 lb/ft, but could physically turn down to what was theoretically 15 lb/ft, it would be accurate off of the scale, too.

Just throwing that out there. I have a Snap-on torque wrench, and I get my buddy to check it occasionally, but it never has needed any work.